Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I was quoted $100 to sandblast a 10 bolt rear end (Trying to keep a numbered anniversary car correct) seems high but for that price they said she will come back damn clean!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Uh Oh, you said rear end!
My Homosexual alter ego 1Slowmopar is going to be all over your rear end when he see's that. Talk about waving a red flag at a bull!

·
Registered
5,618 Posts
Today I was quoted $100 to sandblast a 10 bolt rear end (Trying to keep a numbered anniversary car correct) seems high but for that price they said she will come back damn clean!
ive had a sand blaster for over 30 yrs,i still hate blasting anything. The hotter it is outside the worse it is to do,thats more than fair price if you ask me. Sand,electricity to run the air compressor plus labor,$100 is cheap.

·
Clown
3,779 Posts
ive had a sand blaster for over 30 yrs,i still hate blasting anything. The hotter it is outside the worse it is to do,thats more than fair price if you ask me. Sand,electricity to run the air compressor plus labor,$100 is cheap.
I'm with ya Gary !!
$100 sounds far

·
time to go racing yet ?
33,832 Posts
100 is cheap ... i know of some charging 200 and 1 hour minimum ...... this is with a commercial type setup .....

·
Registered
8,489 Posts
Yea. $100 is very fair. Might want to tip the guy or gift him or something. Stay on his good side.

·
Registered
9,106 Posts
way cheap!!

·
Registered
12,543 Posts
Having leftover sand in there would be my concern too. Is the rear totally stripped? Id put the cover on with a gasket and seal the ends of the axle tubes as well as the vent as best as possible.

Just like you ought to scrub the hell out of a freshly machined engine block, clean it like a mofo before putting back together! I always blow it out with air religiously to get the loose stuff out. Then, grab a couple cans of oven cleaner and spray the entire inside heavily. Then, scrub the inside good. Get a mop handle or something with a towel, or actual mop tied up on the end and use it to scrub out the axle tubes.

Then I powerwash like crazy, blow it out with air again and wipe out excess water where I can, then spray down with brake parts cleaner and let dry.

·
Registered
275 Posts
If it's Not the last thing I was ever going to Clean...I would put that money on one for My self (yes I know how much air it requires)but for a part here and there just get your own.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Wow, I must be spoiled up here. 50 bux at a local Heat treating joint. Clean as ya can get, i farm out most of my sandblasting to him. As far as getting the sand out, lots of air. Blow it out until you think its clean, then do it 2 more times!

·
DamCoonass
15,236 Posts
I had my tube chassis media blasted for $250 & THAT had to be a royal PITA.

·
Gettin' tired of the shit
23,424 Posts
get it hot tanked for about $50 you'll never get all the sand out of it if you blast it
This, and if it has rust you want removed, find someone that does acid dipping.

If you really want to go with "sand" blasting, switch over and have it soda blasted, no residual grit to fuck shit up later.

PS - I just paid $45 to have two upper control arms, two lower control arms and a transmission crossmember from a 62 Ford Galaxie soda blasted. Alot more than that rearend housing.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts