Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finished up my BBC and have it hooked to the dyno as I type this . We are gonna make some pulls tomorrow, I'm pretty excited as this is my first BBC and my first dyno session ever. Anyone care to make a guess on the performance? My specs are.....

468 BBC
10.2 to 1 compression
GM forged crank
scat 6.385 forged rods
Mahle pistons
Hyd. Roller cam(242 248 .602 .602 112LS)
Scorpion 1.7 roller rockers
Patriot performance Aluminum castings, Ferrea 6000 valves
Edelbrock 454-R victor JR intake
Holley 950hp (PN 80496)

If you need anymore info let me know I also have the flow numbers for these heads if that may help. I'm sure I missed something.

·
Registered
10,216 Posts
Assuming the heads are the 315cc, outta the box heads, w/o any porting, I would say around 550 peak numbers, but in a heavy street/ strip car, peak HP does not really mean that much, a nice flat torque curve is much more fun.

On our Super Flow 901 dyno, we built a 514 last year with those heads, hyd. and hyd. roller w/ a performer RPM intake, made right at 600hp, but made a shit-ton of torque, and very linear curve..

Good luck, you should have a blast, but a dyno giving real world numbers can be humbling.

·
Registered
5,403 Posts
What kind of numbers will make you smile and what numbers will make you frown?
That looks like a pretty good pump gas combo and should be a good street/strip toy. I would guess somewhere around 500 hp give or take some depending on the heads and actual compression ratio.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The heads are the 320 versions( a little big for a 468) the actual comp ratio is 10.2 to 1 . The builder says he's shooting for 600, I'll be happy with 575. I'm just trying to put my 3800 street car in the mid 11's. Super Chevy just did a super low budget 454 with a hyd flat tappet in the 530? lift and pro comp heads and lots less compression and they are claiming 540 hp. so I figured my builder was close.

·
Registered
10,216 Posts
look, I don't want to burst your bubble, but the reality of making 1.28HP per ci takes more then slapping together a 468, and installing a set of Patriot 320 heads on it.. step back and think about this, it would take serious effort to do that w/ 10.5:1 compression and a mild hyd. roller..

The 514 we did made great power for what it was, but still only landed right at 600HP, and that was 45 more ci then your engine.

Here is a run right off the chassis dyno from that 514, it was in a SS Chevelle w/ a manual, we didn't do anything but make a couple runs, I had dialed it in on the engine dyno, we just tossed it on my buddies chassis dyno for the hell of it to see what it would make at the wheels. Obvious my engine dyno jives pretty well with the chassis dyno, it had about 12% drive train loss, about what would be expected from a manual. It is hard to see the HP graph, but you can see the peak number, and the very good torque this car makes! The car runs the power brakes real good, too..

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I guess I'll let you know tomorrow when I get back from the machine shop. What is your thoughts on the super chevy 454 build? Inflated dyno numbers? Or just plain out bullcrap?

·
Registered
10,216 Posts
Well I guess I'll let you know tomorrow when I get back from the machine shop. What is your thoughts on the super chevy 454 build? Inflated dyno numbers? Or just plain out bullcrap?
When a magazine does a story featuring advertisers parts, they BETTER overachieve if they want to keep an advertiser happy. One hand washes the other. ;) I am not saying that these stories don't have anything merit, most do, but always remember, these magazines exist because of advertisers. One problem that this creates, is people have an engine built by a shop, and expect it to produce numbers that may not be realistic, and if it doesn't the customer won't be happy. I try to educate my customers to understand it is not all about peak numbers, and try to get them to spend more time looking at the overall numbers, and the numbers below peak.

I'm sure your engine will make good power, those heads should work fine, they ain't too bad for the money, just remember to pay close attention to torque numbers, they have as much or more importance then peak HP numbers. I focus more on developing a nice, high, flat torque curve on street cars, that makes the car a lot more fun to drive, believe me.

Good luck, and have fun!!

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I'm sure it's gonna create a lot more torque than my 360ci sbc! Should be alot of fun with the 4 speed.

·
Registered
10,216 Posts
Yeah I'm sure it's gonna create a lot more torque than my 360ci sbc! Should be alot of fun with the 4 speed.
Oh yeah, you will have a blast with the 4 speed! The Chevelle that we did is a hell of a lot of fun, I wish I had that car, myself..

May the 4 speed with you.. :rolleyes:

Here is a pic of the one w/ the 514. :)

·
Registered
522 Posts
should be 580-620 we built a 468 9.2 comp brodix race right ovals 6.385 rod, victor o, port matched ,a comp 650ish hard roller(shelf cam) HP 950 and made 607.5 @6500 and 565 tq @4900 on pump gas all day long found a home in a 69 camaro rally green COPO want A bee with a DTS rear,373s cal track set up and a keisler 5 speed and it is FN wicked,

·
Registered
10,216 Posts
should be 580-620 we built a 468 9.2 comp brodix race right ovals 6.385 rod, victor o, port matched ,a comp 650ish hard roller(shelf cam) HP 950 and made 607.5 @6500 and 565 tq @4900 on pump gas all day long found a home in a 69 camaro rally green COPO want A bee with a DTS rear,373s cal track set up and a keisler 5 speed and it is FN wicked,
You can't compare that combo to his, he is using a "hydraulic" roller, a lot smaller then your "hard" roller, which I assume you mean "solid", he is using the Predator head, which is not a bad head for the money, but it is NOT a set of Brodix ovals..

He will make good power, for what he has, that is how ya gotta look at it.. It is almost ALWAYS about the dollar spent.. Spend more on the right parts, more power made.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am not gonna piss up a rope with you Ed. My heads came into the shop and the machinist were pretty impressed with the looks of them ,so they decided to check the flow numbers for me ( free of charge) and it just so happened there was a set of brodix's getting done that day also and the numbers of the brodix were very upsetting to that customer. Take that for what its worth I'm not getting into a pissing match, I'm not saying these china castings are better. I'm just doing what I can with what I have......... and its not much lol.

·
F.T.W. KILL EM ALL
10,841 Posts
I would take a shot @ it & say around....550-600. Hope you achieve the #'s your looking for! :p

·
Registered
10,216 Posts
I'm headed off for the dyno I'll let you know the results in the afternoon.
AWESOME, have fun, hope you make great power!!

I was not trying to get into a pissy match with you over the heads, but flow numbers are not everything, they can lie if you don't understand them, velocity and low and mid lift numbers mean a LOT more on an engine like yours.. Don't get me wrong, for the money, I was impressed with the Patriot heads, and they made decent power outta the box, I'm sure yours will run good..

We dyno'd a Merlin 540 crate engine here, that flat tappet, low compression engine was advertised to make 600/600, I KNEW it was not gonna do it, I ain't stupid! We struggled with it to make 540, and that is after we changed out the carb. it came with..

A dyno is a tuning tool, if you put good solid parts in the engine, and a camshaft to go with the combo, and matched up the induction and exhaust, it will make what it makes.

I hope you get what you are after, but at the end of the day, whatever it makes, when it goes in the car if it put a smile on your face, you got what you wanted!:party

·
Registered
10,216 Posts
Ok, it is 7pm, hope they don't have the rags and the mop out... I hate when that happens!!! :rolleyes:

I'm sure he has just been celebrating this afternoon!! :party

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK I finally made it back from the dyno. Man we had some gremlins I bought a dizzy from a guy on here and it turned out to be a POS. The advance was completely F'ed up. The owner of the engine shop tore his mini mod pulling tractor apart and we used his ignition box and dizzy. These guys were outstanding they worked in this thing till 6pm we changed timing ,jets , HVH spacer and did it all with a smile! We put a real world tune on this, not the one where the water temp and oil temp is only 120 degree's and came out with 576 hp and 540tq and its all done by 6200. I think it's gonna be a great street strip engine. Special thanks to the guys at D&L automotive and performance (you guys rock!).

·
Registered
68,978 Posts
That's nice !!
All the grunt is going to be at "real world" rpm levels for a hot street car. With a 4-spd behind it, you will certainly have a blast.

What rear gears have you set it up with ?

·
Registered
10,216 Posts
Sounds like everything ended up working out well.. When it comes to the mechanical advance, I lock most of them, cause you want all the timing down low, they run a LOT cleaner on the road, and they are a lot more crisp, and I use a mini high torque starter and they start just fine. ;)

That should move your car along just fine. What kinda' dyno do these guys have? Did you get any dyno graph, or printouts? Sounds like some good guys who busted their asses to get things all sorted out.. That is what the dyno is for, worth every penny!!!

If I could suggest ONE thing to someone looking at machine shops/ engine shops, to build their next engine, it would be, MAKE SURE THEY HAVE A DYNO, if not, run the other way!!! In the "real" world, a dyno qualifies you as a "serious" engine builder.. When you spend hard earned money to have an engine custom built, you deserve to see it perform before you drop down that final payment..

EVERY performance engine that goes out of this shop goes on the dyno, it is built into the price, this way I don't have to debate the importance of spending the extra money with the customer..

1 - 20 of 25 Posts