Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, Im 20 Year's old and I just wanted to know if i am doing the right thing, Okay it all started when i was a freshmen in High school, I went to party's and got into things that i shouldn't have but I was just a freshmen tryin to Make friends in high school and Make a name i guess you could say but anyways i smarted up my junior year and tried to get My stuff together before Senior year but when it came down to it i couldn't do it So i withdrew from high school, And i Signed up for Job Corps ( Were i can get my Trade and High School Diploma) Ill be there for 2 Years and I live on the Campus in Morganfield, KY and From what the People at Job Corps said Its one of the best Automotive School in the Country Well other then ITT Tech and All them but I think it should be a nice experience, What do you guys think ?

·
Drag Week Survivor
14,402 Posts
You seem to have enough motivation to build a car, drag race and join and surf Yellowbullet. Why do you need a government funded program to teach you how to be an adult over the course of 2 years?

Go get a job, a GED and then go do a tech school if you realy want to be a mechanic. Not ripping you, but sometime you have to just do stuff because it's time to grow up. Reading "Job Corps" website it seems it's for those in society that really can't find their way. But maybe i'm reading it wrong.

·
Senior Moment
9,664 Posts
My hat's off to you, young man.

Not a fan of getting into the automotive business as a career but, what you learn there will be of a big help building/racing a car in future.

Best of luck :smt023,,,TLW

·
Busting balls
4,331 Posts
Congrats on knowing what you want to do in life and going for it. You can go to job corps or start out sweeping up a shop who builds cars making a small wage. You will lean valuable information and work your way up. Are thier any shops around you? I know of an individual who started out helping out in a shop in florida who now owns thier own million dollar business in the racing community.

Best of luck in whatever direction you go into.

P.S REMEMBER KNOWLEDGE = MONEY IN THIS WORLD PEOPLE PAY FOR IT. DONT BE AFRAID TO THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX.

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
My gf's son went this route because he got kicked out of high school..your gonna be surrounded by bunch of city trash and ghetto thugs that are put there as a means of avoiding detention centers..and it is basically what it is..your not aloud off of campus until you earn that right..and it can be taken away from you at any point..they will only teach you very basic things ie; brakes,oil changes and minor auto body work..the diploma is a good plus but that is it for the 2yrs that you will be locked down for only to come out to work at Jiffy Lube..you seem to have your head on right,now..continue pushing yourself without having to deal with the Job Corp shit

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know there are goin to be some thugs there but I really need a Diploma to get into the Air force and if you get a GED you have 2 years of Collage and I am going to do automotive just cause if i wanted to open/work at a car shop i have everything, And Eeryone needs there car worked on down here, Thanks for the feedback
My gf's son went this route because he got kicked out of high school..your gonna be surrounded by bunch of city trash and ghetto thugs that are put there as a means of avoiding detention centers..and it is basically what it is..your not aloud off of campus until you earn that right..and it can be taken away from you at any point..they will only teach you very basic things ie; brakes,oil changes and minor auto body work..the diploma is a good plus but that is it for the 2yrs that you will be locked down for only to come out to work at Jiffy Lube..you seem to have your head on right,now..continue pushing yourself without having to deal with the Job Corp shit

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
Not sure why you need to be there for 2yrs though..he was done in 8months..started after new years and was done by Labor Day because he got a job at a local shop

·
Registered
16,779 Posts
I know there are goin to be some thugs there but I really need a Diploma to get into the Air force and if you get a GED you have 2 years of Collage and I am going to do automotive just cause if i wanted to open/work at a car shop i have everything, And Eeryone needs there car worked on down here, Thanks for the feedback
make sure you take an english class or 2 while youre there

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Its a 2 year Contract, Im also going there for school so it might take alittle longer
Not sure why you need to be there for 2yrs though..he was done in 8months..started after new years and was done by Labor Day because he got a job at a local shop

·
Just Sayin Crew V.P.
37,825 Posts
make sure you take an english class or 2 while youre there
X2. My thing is with these programs you get out of it what you put into it. If this helps get you going down the path to being a productive and responsible individual then go for it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks, I am really going to miss my car
So did he..got his diploma in 3 months..he may have needed less classes to get his though..congrats to you for trying to make something of your life..hope it works out for you!!

·
Registered
169 Posts
I am currently a Residential Advisor at a Job Corps right now in VA. Honestly i would not recommend it to certain people.

email me your questions and i will be HAPPY to answer them for you.

·
Registered
4,532 Posts
Hey tee :), I was just going to say if your dream is to work on race type cars don't have in your mind you are going to get a job doing that. My ex went to ittech and all that and he has tried to get a job in his specialty everywhere, he is still changing oil. So yes a step in the right direction for sure, just don't set the bar to high

·
Registered
887 Posts
IMO i would get a job @ a shop around you. If you are eager and willing to work, many shops will hire you. You may not get paid much but you can learn and get paid. ( thats the way i started ) Most kids i have met that came out of wyotech,uti,itt etc. have to be retrained anyway so you are better off just getting a starting job. I am not talking about a kwik lube type place . you need to get into a quality shop. Many bigger shop have helper programs , where you are a helper to an experianced mechanic in the begining to help you learn. By the way I dropped out and got my ged and no one cared , they care if you can fix cars. So dont beat yourself up over it because it isnt as big of a deal as some would like you to think

1 - 16 of 16 Posts