Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a pretty expensive Go Kart that was set up for road course racing. One of my wonderful nephews blew the Sonik race motor in it. I am giving it to my other nephew who has a 5 year old son and we want to make it a 1/4 mile kart.

Has anyone else ever raced a kart on the drag strip? My nephew is a true gear head who can build anything.

Suggestions.

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Don't know where your located but the 1/8 tracks here will let you run atv's, lawnmowers, wheelchairs, whatever, as long as you wear a helmet.

·
Registered
7,024 Posts
I own a pretty expensive Go Kart that was set up for road course racing. One of my wonderful nephews blew the Sonik race motor in it. I am giving it to my other nephew who has a 5 year old son and we want to make it a 1/4 mile kart.

Has anyone else ever raced a kart on the drag strip? My nephew is a true gear head who can build anything.

Suggestions.
Yes... Also a guy in Phila area made a funny car body for his.. I would build a shifter kart.. Look into a lay down kart with a 6 speed trans..

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
the problem with carts are they are a single speed setup unless it is a shifter cart. Once they wind up they would be pretty boring. Plus they will either heat up the clutch and loose speed or a dog at take off. Road courses start from a rolling start so you are not making the clutch so tight on the hit and rely on the turns to keep the engine from staying on the high end of the rpm range they are set up for. I think it would be a waste myself.

·
Registered
7,816 Posts
the problem with carts are they are a single speed setup unless it is a shifter cart. Once they wind up they would be pretty boring. Plus they will either heat up the clutch and loose speed or a dog at take off. Road courses start from a rolling start so you are not making the clutch so tight on the hit and rely on the turns to keep the engine from staying on the high end of the rpm range they are set up for. I think it would be a waste myself.
Belt drive clutches

·
Q(t)=ṁCpΔT
28,027 Posts
Put an LS in it

·
Grizzly
45,815 Posts

1 - 8 of 8 Posts