Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
48,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

The Jimmy's were a match for the flatheads in their day. This is Saugus drag strip, the first drag strip I ever attended. My dad took me there in 1952 or '53. The track opened in 1951 and closed up in '57. This old digger ran 10.4 at 136 mph. It had the original three-port head at the time.

Another view, this time at Santa Ana, and with a body added. And still with the three-port stock head.

Looks safe enough, doesn't it?

Updated with the Wayne 12-port head, and Hilborn injectors.

Here's a photo for the ages. A single axle oepn trailer. The "tow rig" is a 1938 Chevy.

·
RIP Dave - YB will miss you
25,442 Posts
The halo looks a little short on the cage.I'd hate to get crossed up in that thing at speed,looks like a death trap.

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
George, can you find Joe Lemleys old H/G 4-dr 63 Nova that ran those engines. If I am right you can bore them .060 and it makes the engine 311 cubic inches. Dick Humbert that drove Stepps first P/S car built one. It ran 11.50's back in 74 and was a street car.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Racing In-line 6's is just.....so odd. Couldn't immagine what they'd sound like revved up. Hmmmmm.
Thanks for the pics anyway!

·
Registered
27,956 Posts
Them GMC 6's are still pretty bad, just watch Self Racing's car go down the track a time or two! Or that turbo Nova Wagon with the Trailblazer engine.

·
Registered
48,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
George, can you find Joe Lemleys old H/G 4-dr 63 Nova that ran those engines. If I am right you can bore them .060 and it makes the engine 311 cubic inches. Dick Humbert that drove Stepps first P/S car built one. It ran 11.50's back in 74 and was a street car.
Sorry, can't find any links.

·
Registered
48,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
guess rollin it over was never a concern
Well, it was a concern but just one of many concerns. Look at the "slicks". In those days, the slicks were all re-caps. Actual drag race tires did not exist back then. With the exception of the Hilborn injection, there are no "aftermarket" or actual "race car" parts on the car.

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
Not according to some of the old gasser racers in the day. Never had one so i dont know.I know Humbert ran his well over 7500. His was a trick piece for the day. It was in a 66 Nova sdn. Had a 12 bolt with a 5.57 gear and a Nash 5 - spd. Roller cam,ported head,4-bbl. carb and a magneto. Had big compression too.

·
Registered
63 Posts
A broken shoulder can be very painfull therefore they were quite concerned about having the roll bar up high enough to protect the shoulders from damage!;)

·
Registered
48,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A broken shoulder can be very painfull therefore they were quite concerned about having the roll bar up high enough to protect the shoulders from damage!;)
And even if the roll bars did go up head high, how much protection would a racer expect when they were using tubing (non seamless) from a kids backyard swing set?

It wasn't just drag racers that raced without roll bars. The vintage Formula One cars were just as bad.

Juan Manual Fangio, about the best that ever was in these cars. No roll bars and a helmet that offered about as much protection as a Dodgers baseball cap.

·
Registered
16,659 Posts
Worked on some 6 cyl dirt track cars back in the 80s. I was surprised at just how hard they ran, can't remember how much RPM they were turning but I am pretty sure they were over 6k. And as far as roll bars go, my buddy's Dad that ran a sprint car used to say back in the day (no cage, no big wing on top,etc), the guy that could survive a flip in a sprinter could give himself a bj....

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
How long were the rods in some of those early sixes, those that were built for a race? It's hard to believe they stayed together and ran as high a 10K, The rod crank design, would seem to favor a torque number rather than HP, similar to a stock Flathead???
Always willing to learn some of the older technology if there's experience someone is willing to pass along.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts