Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious what you guys are using to get a “factory” looking black color on the firewall of your car? I know the paint is low gloss, but definitely not flat. Car is a 1970 if that matters. Thanks

·
Registered
16,506 Posts
John Deere blitz black
This. Darren suggested this to me 4 years ago, and he was bang on. I did entire chassis, firewall, dash, cages, and interior surfaces of the doors. It looks perfect, and is extremely durable.

·
Banned
17,920 Posts
Looks good Muffy!!
If that paint holds up on the booms of my logging shovels for years at a time then it is tough stuff! It lays out very nice even on services with imperfections and is damn near as tough as powder coat.

This. Darren suggested this to me 4 years ago, and he was bang on. I did entire chassis, firewall, dash, cages, and interior surfaces of the doors. It looks perfect, and is extremely durable.

·
Registered
20,098 Posts
GM used to sell something called reconditioning paint, I had bought a gallon years ago.
It was RTS, was like a semi gloss.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
The firewall is Semi Flat like the floor pans, the rest of the inner fender well, core support are semi gloss. if your using spray bombs Krylon Semi Flat for firewall, Rust Oleam Satin black for inner fenders, core support, engine brackets, etc. Be careful, the Rust Oleam drys SLOW! so dust is your enemy.

The GM Reconditioning pint spoken if was Semi Gloss, but pure shit. Right on the can it said you could even paint rubber floor mats and tires with it! among other things. Is was true used car special shit. Consistency of water.

GM Chassis and Restoration Black Reconditioning Paint #1050104
For the most detailed restorer. Give you investment the correct treatment, the way the factory intended! GM Black Reconditioning Paint has the correct factory satin finish and color. For use on underhood sheet metal surfaces, chassis, trunk interiors, tires, rubber floor mats and more. Dries to touch in 30 minutes under normal temperature and humidity. This paint can be sprayed direct from can or thinned if desired.

Correct Factory Satin Sheen, Finish and Color

Dries to the touch in 30 minutes

Can be sprayed direct from can or thinned

Rust Prevention Treatment

For Underhood sheet metal surfaces, chassis, trunk interiors, tires, rubber floor mats and more

·
Registered
16,506 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts