Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 chevy truck 1500. I get a (service 4wd) on the digital display in the dash and when this is displayed it will not go into 4wd. I had it scanned and the code was c0327 encoder malfunction in 4wd. Is this a problem with the actuator on the front axle?

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Often times, we have had to replace the switch assembly on the dash. As far as the encoder motor on the front axle, we mostly saw problems with them in the early to mid 90's trucks. Id be willing to bet its the dash switch.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I have a 2006 chevy truck 1500. I get a (service 4wd) on the digital display in the dash and when this is displayed it will not go into 4wd. I had it scanned and the code was c0327 encoder malfunction in 4wd. Is this a problem with the actuator on the front axle?
it could be anything from the switch on the dash, to the encoder motor on the t-case, to the actuator on the front axle.
does the switch light up to show what range your in?
have you put it in 4 wheel hi or low and checked for +12v at the actuator?
are there any other t-case codes present?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it could be anything from the switch on the dash, to the encoder motor on the t-case, to the actuator on the front axle.
does the switch light up to show what range your in?
have you put it in 4 wheel hi or low and checked for +12v at the actuator?
are there any other t-case codes present?
It has the push button 4wd. When the dash shows (service 4wd) the 2wd button is lit like it always is but no other buttons 4lo/4hi auto 4wd will light up when I push them. It just stays in 2wd. This error is intermitent, sometimes I can drive the truck and the error is not there and the 4wd works but the error is becoming more regular now.

·
Registered
566 Posts
more than likely then, its going to be in the encoder motor or the actuator. the wiring harness needs to be checked and tests done with a dvom. last time i dealt with this code, i ended up putting in a actuator as the old one did not have any resistance. (open circuit.). gl

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
It is not a switch, a switch will set a code B2975. For a C0327 you need to replace the encoder sensor in the encoder motor (actuator on side of tcase). It is much cheaper than buying the entire motor. There is also more than likely a software update for the TCCM (transfer case control module), and I would clean the grounds on the body mount frame horn under the drivers door area. I do several of these a week and rarely do I need to do anything else.

·
Registered
49,832 Posts
Encoder malfunctions are not uncommon and typically havea few2 causes, binding of the shift fork assembly in the Tcase, the others are motor malfunctions and of encoder position errors. front actuators have different codes IIRC.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts