Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an 09 Silverado that I keep having the same issue with. After driving for about 15-20 minutes with the heat on, it will start blowing only cold air. I can sometimes get the heat to come back if I turn the climate knob back and forth but usually once it starts blowing cold air that's it there is no more heat until I shut the truck off and start it again. As soon as the problem develops I take it right it to get it fixed but it just doesn't last.

The first time this happened was about a month after getting the truck in 09 and was fine for the rest of the winter. Then this fall/winter as of today it has happened 3 more times. I have taken it to the dealer each time and the first two times they replace an actuator and the last time they replaced the climate control panel. I think it is something electrical related but not sure.

I was just wondering if any of you guys have heard of this issue or if there was any kind of bulletin on it. This is starting to piss me off and never fails that it quits when it's freezing outside (it was 6* this morning, it was a cold ride to work that's for sure) Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's got 30,xxx miles on it. Yes it's still under warranty and I think your right that they have no idea what is causing it.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
First thing that should be done is check it for codes. The fact that it phucks up, then is ok the next ignition cycle tells me it should store a trouble code. Actuators are a common problem, but that's been done. Since it's intermittent it's probably a wiring issue. I would be looking real hard at the wiring. Those actuators are controlled by a 5 volt signal. 5 volts runs then hot, ground runs them cold. Maybe a chaffed wire?? Good luck!

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
ive done alot of repairing terminals for fretting on the rh side of the dash , pull off that cover on the end(looks like fuse panel) and give the bigger connectors a good wiggle nexttime it jacks up. if it does clear up, either a terminal is loose/fretted or something to that affect. hardly ever do actuator replacement on the newer style trucks, but they do go out, jus not often and they generally arent intermittent, they stay non-working.

·
Who Farted...?!?!
3,485 Posts
x2 on the terminals opening up.... they should have tools to do pin tests on em.... the newer terminals are small, weak, and easily damaged!

·
SEENYOR MEMBER
7,912 Posts
Probably the servo motor that runs the blend-air door.

Known to fail on older models.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It sounds like you guys are confirming my suspicions that it is a wiring issue. I'm gonna give this dealer one last chance, if It's not corrected its going somewhere else.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
The next time it happens... See if both lines through the firewall are hot. There could just be something blocking the coolant intermitantly.

·
Registered
70 Posts
We have had a truck in the shop doing that and it was the HVAC air temp sensor acting up, causing it to think its to hot. Which in turns switches it to cooler air

·
Registered
134 Posts
Have seen them come in where someone had engine cover off and when they put it back on it pinched the heater hose off

1 - 15 of 15 Posts