Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went on a 550 mile round trip this weekend.Coming home about a mile from my driveway the truck starts skipping and showing service traction control,stabilitrac and engine light flashing.read it as a p307 code for #7 misfire.Its still under warranty so I took it in monday morning.They just called and said it was a fouled plug because of a leaking valve cover. How the hell is that gonna happen?Is there something that's gonna surface again that's really fouling a plug that theyre trying to push off till its not under warranty?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Went on a 550 mile round trip this weekend.Coming home about a mile from my driveway the truck starts skipping and showing service traction control,stabilitrac and engine light flashing.read it as a p307 code for #7 misfire.Its still under warranty so I took it in monday morning.They just called and said it was a fouled plug because of a leaking valve cover. How the hell is that gonna happen?Is there something that's gonna surface again that's really fouling a plug that theyre trying to push off till its not under warranty?
A leaking valve cover on a 2011 truck is odd enough. I could see it if the oil was running out onto a plug wire for cylinder 7 and ruined it to the point that it started arcing, and therefore caused a bad enough misfire to foul the plug. But I'm really not buying that. I'd ask for a better explanation. Somebody likely got their info mixed up.

·
Motorboatin SOB
10,309 Posts
Ive NEVER heard of a leaking v/c on an lsx engine.

My 04 Silverado has 91k on it and it doesnt have a leaking v/c...

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah,Im no dummy,the motor was dry,shit my 99 Silverado had 120,000 on the 5.3 with not one gasket leaking and the original plugs still in it.Im thinking this wont be the end of it too.

·
Registered
877 Posts
It's not leaking like everyone thinks.
It's leaking through the internal pcv baffles, and sucking oil, thus fouling out the spark plug.
I have done a few of them. Even had a new out of the box valve cover test bad. GM has a technical bulletin on this.
I would bet that the intake has/had oil puddled in it also. Chances are the cover may cure the consumption, but at the same time, could end up needing pistons/rings eventually.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok,now that makes sense!Thank you for the explanation.

·
Registered
174 Posts
It's leaking through the internal pcv baffles, and sucking oil, thus fouling out the spark plug.
I have done a few of them. Even had a new out of the box valve cover test bad. GM has a technical bulletin on this.
I would bet that the intake has/had oil puddled in it also. Chances are the cover may cure the consumption, but at the same time, could end up needing pistons/rings eventually.
Damn. So the PCV is built into the valvecover, or into the internal baffling?

·
Registered
8,372 Posts

Happened to my buddy. sucked his engine out of oil. Truck shut off and got towed to dealer. Dealer said not a problem and it didn't hurt engine. lol

·
YB Liar and Chief
29,163 Posts
redline44 is on it.

·
Registered
877 Posts
I looked, the bulletin for the valve cover "pull over" issue is for 2012-2013 models, but that does not mean that the OP's truck did not have the same issue.

OP, monitor the oil in the truck. If you see it using it, let the dealer know so it can get fixed. Based off it already fouling a plug, it is using oil. But, by actually checking it regularly, you can tell if the valve cover actually fixed it or not..
Unfortunately, there are some "techs" who will do the valve cover, or the AFM valve shield in the pan to try to remedy an oil consumption issue, only because their vagina's are too itchy for them to actually man up and put pistons and rings in the ones that actually need it. At our shop, all the other tech's do the cover's, shield's or carbon soaks, but once it's determined that they still burn oil, they somehow always end up in my stall. I'm ok with that though.

I know they have had a "fixed orifice" pcv system since 04, maybe earlier? I cant recall exactly.

I can try to copy and paste the actual bulletin, but the pics in it are awful, and they post always turns out huge..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts