Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 04 silverado with a 5.3. as i have noticed with mine and other trucks i have worked on and delt with, it has a studder at idle. almost like a very small misfire. doesnt effect anything or cause issues but i notice it mainly when sitting in it with it running not in gear. dont know if it caused by the ethonal in the gas or what but didnt know if any have noticed this or know where it comes from. it does not show on misfire data on scanner or anything. anyone with input?

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
fuel pump is on its way out the door.look at your fuel pressure regulator vacuum hose to make sure the diaphram is not ruptured. Also check your fuel filter.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
its done it for over a year and mine does not have a external regulator, so no diaphram to go bad and leak gas and no fuel filter on mine

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Does it happen more in the cooler temps? 04's had the first design (orange) intake gaskets. The rubber in the gasket was orange. The new design is teal. Replaced many of them, it would be the first thing to check.
Just loosen up the bolts on the right side of the intake and GENTLY pry the intake up. You can look and see what color the rubber is.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah dont know about the intake gaskets. i know that some have had issues with them and leaks. i may just look into changin them

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Easy job. Clean the intake bolts off good and use some blue loc-tite. Torque them to 89 in. lbs.

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
You mentioned you scanned it.Do you remember what your fuel trims looked like?That would verify your lean condition if present.

·
Registered
9,943 Posts
Check the throttle body for carbon/dirt, my dads 02 suburban did this also and sometimes the throttle would stick just alittle.....

Cleaned the throttle body REAL good.......and Ran perfect after...........Just a thought, and easy to do................

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
fresh tune up and doesnt idle low or anything. fuel trims look good so i dont feel its a lean issue unless its very small

·
Registered
56 Posts
Intake gaskets will cause some crazy things. Put the new fel-pro gaskets on it and will be last set you have to put on. Metal with rubber seals.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i dont think they sell that kind for the plastic intakes on the trucks. i know thats the issue on the 3.4s but dont think it applies to these

·
Registered
51,357 Posts
fuel pump is on its way out the door.look at your fuel pressure regulator vacuum hose to make sure the diaphram is not ruptured. Also check your fuel filter.
Mine does this and if I clean the throttly body butterfly it clears up for a short period then comes back. For whatever reason, the back of the butterfly gums up with black goo on a regular basis.

I just changed my fuel pump and it didn't change anything.

·
Registered
56 Posts
i dont think they sell that kind for the plastic intakes on the trucks. i know thats the issue on the 3.4s but dont think it applies to these
They do, I have put a couple sets on in the last month. They are the perma-drys. Fel-pro is starting to replace all the plastic embossed gaskets with this type. They cost about 60 bucks at Advance.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts