Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Information Desk
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been doing some preliminary research on building a sb2.2 headed engine. I would go with a bigger cubic inch, though... probably a 427 using Dart Iron Eagle raised cam standard deck height block. While doing research on the sb2.2 heads, mostly the NASCAR take-offs that I would get worked over for drag racing, I cam across the GM Performance "146" splayed valve head. Does anyone have any experience with those? I never seem to see anyone talking about using them. Were they the original NHRA Pro Stock Truck heads? I can only find them for sale "semi-finished". Are most cylinder head porters able to finish them or have a CNC program for them? Just wondering what those with the knowledge thoughts are on these vs the sb2.2.

·
Registered
24,497 Posts
I've been doing some preliminary research on building a sb2.2 headed engine. I would go with a bigger cubic inch, though... probably a 427 using Dart Iron Eagle raised cam standard deck height block. While doing research on the sb2.2 heads, mostly the NASCAR take-offs that I would get worked over for drag racing, I cam across the GM Performance "146" splayed valve head. Does anyone have any experience with those? I never seem to see anyone talking about using them. Were they the original NHRA Pro Stock Truck heads? I can only find them for sale "semi-finished". Are most cylinder head porters able to finish them or have a CNC program for them? Just wondering what those with the knowledge thoughts are on these vs the sb2.2.
I think they were the heads used in Pro Stock Truck right after the 15 degree wedge, but I ain’t sure. Nick would know those answers.

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
Better heads for less money available today that are simpler to use. Check with Chad Speier or other members here that do heads. Those heads were used on dedicated blocks with modified lifter locations compared to standard Gen 1 blocks. More work than necessary for the same horsepower. Also very high RPM range to get the benefits. Mark Whitener the carb guy uses SB2 heads on his SBC dragster. He would be a good guy to ask.

·
Big Trev is a great guy!
15,463 Posts
They used to be pretty popular down here in Australia in comp and were even used in Aussie pro-stock. I think the downside is you now can buy an economical wedge head like the Profiler 13* or high end All Pro 13* wedge heads that will actually flow more than most of the splayed valve heads out there.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
GM Splayed valve heads don't require special block, that was the Little Chief heads. Other options are out there, if you ask some of he top engine builders, they will tell you, the splayed valve heads are still among the best. Not a great power adder head, but a great NA head.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
They used to be pretty popular down here in Australia in comp and were even used in Aussie pro-stock. I think the downside is you now can buy an economical wedge head like the Profiler 13* or high end All Pro 13* wedge heads that will actually flow more than most of the splayed valve heads out there.
I think the fact they were used in ANDRA Pro Stock says it all.

Does anyone know what the Ford, Pontiac, and Chrysler teams were using?

·
35,220 Posts
The Splayed Valve head is an awesome design. The casting is very light weight however... not the most durable. It also doesn't have material in it to support big CID and RPM.

The ProFiler airstrike is pretty much a duplicate.... but, more refined in port height and material where you need it. And a killer casting, compared.

But, if you had the Splayed Valve heads in possession ... like I did at one time. Use them... they'll support a lot of hp.

·
Registered
7,833 Posts
All I can add is they are fragile..

Couples of years ago I updated a set of heads for a 358” Jenkins ex Prostock Truck engine. (Slawko) After sitting in a corner of his shop for a while he assembled the engine this spring and did some testing with very good results. Last weekend the new owner resets the European B/DA record with a nice 6.84/195 run. Competing with the current stuff.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Are there issues with push rod alignment with the splayed valve or air strikes with a dart iron eagle? Would there be a preference with either head on a well thought out 440?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts