Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 03 Saturn Ion for a daily driver. The A/C works great while moving but after being stopped for 15 seconds or so the A/C cuts off and won't come back on until the car has been moving for 15 seconds or so. I have tried holding the RPMs up while stopped to see if that helps but it doesn't. Any ideas?

·
Registered
534 Posts
sounds like you have a low charge in the system or the evpansion valve is partial blocked causing a low pressure signal to ecm. check the pressure with gauges and let me no . ive worked for saturn last 6 1/2 yrs.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Cooling fan inop the rpm drops and then jumps up after sitting at a light aswell. beat on the fan motor to see if it starts to spin. comes out the bottom on that car have to remove the air dam and the two lower rad brackets

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Also check your temp sensor when this happens on a scanner and see what it says as stated before sounds like high pressure issue or overtemp issue....If the ecm sees the car is running too hot it will inhibit a/c

·
Registered
58 Posts
The cooling fans are a big problem on these cars. I'M willing to bet the cooling fans are not coming on. Check they should be on as soon as the a/c turns on.

·
Registered
534 Posts
start with the basics first does the car run hot if not just check temp when scanning to see if its close to what guage reads. scan system ecm, bcm see what codes are in system ? no codes related to ac if there is fix those first. check ac system pressures 25 to 45 on the low or so, high 150 or less . if pressure is too low it will shut down at idle. do the fans turn on when ac turned on ? air across condensor only effects when driving or if the fans are on .does'nt control cycling of compressor. if pressure is to high 200 psi on high 60 plus on low and climing it will shut system down till pressure is down and will do it over and over then i would check for a restriction. cooling fans should turn on @ 225 with no ac on. and should turn on as soon as ac is activated.

·
Registered
8,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have had problems with it getting hot while sitting in traffic. I will check if the fans are working.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts