Back before the late 90's the big 3 were only testing parts to last 3 years 36,000 miles before failure. Now the parts are tested to 75,000 miles to keep up with our competition. Like other things it was too late to do this as the train already left the station. That's OK though as Japan is seeing this same kind of stuff while China charges ahead with the machine tool world. Yes China machine tools suck right now as did the Japan crap way back when.. But guess what? It wont last long before they build top notch machine tools as Japan does today.
Union workers only count for 7% of the sticker price of a car from GM.. Why not worry about the other 93%?? So that means they can hire free labor and a $30,000 car will still cost $27,900!! Not much of a savings eh?