Yellow Bullet Forums banner

GM lip seal changes?

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  tgui9660 
#1 ·
New lip seals look different from the ones coming out of the 4l80e I'm rebuilding. Is this expected?

New ones have longer lips?

(Jake, Hutch, others) I know there is a lip/beef curtain joke here but I'm sure such pros are far too mature and wouldn't find that funny.

Here is a pic. Top seal from WITTrans, old from rebuild. The new ones fit great and seem to perform OK so far. Sorry for the crap photos. Silly question but I'm learnin here.

See less See more
#6 ·
I'm not really following you though. ATRA, ATSG and other online sources don't talk about any 4l80e piston changes except for the transition to bonded pistons. The long lip seals don't appear to be able to bottom out and deform because of extra material on land and 3 feet on the bottom of the piston.

In any case short old ring on piston:

The land:

#10 ·
They fit early units. You also should be updating the cushions when you do this as they are also prone to break. Check your clutch pack clearances & make sure they are correct when you do this.
The later plastic sealing rings work just fine as well. Before they came out with the molded pistons I would swap them out with turbo 400 apply pistons.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.