Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
thanks in advance.
Problem 1999 ck3500 pick up 180k 454 motor. Truck starts easily on first start of the day.After that has to crank and crank then starts.After starting heavy fuel smell outside vehicle.Other than that runs great,also no check engine lights on.
what say you yb techs...

·
Registered
418 Posts
coolant temp sensor or related circuit is a possibility, pcm sees its cold all the time, so it starts good cold, rich the rest of the time

·
Registered
4,545 Posts
thanks in advance.
Problem 1999 ck3500 pick up 180k 454 motor. Truck starts easily on first start of the day.After that has to crank and crank then starts.After starting heavy fuel smell outside vehicle.Other than that runs great,also no check engine lights on.
what say you yb techs...
fuel regulator.....

·
Registered
176 Posts
Leaking injectors, they all do it I don't know why the 454 is so hard on them but trust me it's injectors. I have seen injectors leak 10 to 15 to one over fuel regulator ( only on 454). It isnt coolant temp sensor related because you smell gas before you crank it correct?

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
Agree on injectors leaking down.

Test by installing fuel psi Guage on rail port, pressurize system by running pump then crimp off feed and return lines. If pressure drops with lines crimped injectors leaking down. You can also pull the upper plenum and usually see fuel stains in the port.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Agree on injectors leaking down.

Test by installing fuel psi Guage on rail port, pressurize system by running pump then crimp off feed and return lines. If pressure drops with lines crimped injectors leaking down. You can also pull the upper plenum and usually see fuel stains in the port.
I also agree.You can look at the injectors when it is running,and you should see a perfect "umbrella" spray pattern without any dripping in the middle of it.Also no dripping when the engine is shut off.They can be rebuilt(resealed) pretty easy.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Leaking injectors, they all do it I don't know why the 454 is so hard on them but trust me it's injectors. I have seen injectors leak 10 to 15 to one over fuel regulator ( only on 454). It isnt coolant temp sensor related because you smell gas before you crank it correct?
Replaced a lot injectors on 454s myself. Pull the plenum, cycle the key and at least one of them will be leaking.

·
Just a Mechanic........
1,367 Posts
Truck has a throttle body.Gas smell after it starts when excessjve cranking occurs.
1999 454 with throttle body injection?or are you talking about port injectors with a throttle body? 1999 should be port injection. 1989 would be throttle body (with 2 injectors)

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
1999 454 with throttle body injection?or are you talking about port injectors with a throttle body? 1999 should be port injection. 1989 would be throttle body (with 2 injectors)
1999 Last year of the old style truck still throttle body no port injection.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
8th VIN is J then it is port injected, have not seen a TBI in 99. It is most likely fuel regulator, need to remove upper plenum and check.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts