Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a bolt on (hinged) fiberglass trunk lid from Glasstek. The fit is pretty decent overall, the only real issue is the two front corners are kinda high. Nothing crazy, but enough to notice. Anyone have any suggestions as what to try to do to bring the corners down a bit to help get the lid closed to perfect. I know it’s a drag car, but I like things to look a certain way. Thanks for any help.

·
42,732 Posts
Yes, pics needed. Do the corners seem bent upwards too much, or is the material thicker in the corners causing it to be higher?

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, I’ll try to get some pics of it this week. The car isn’t at my place right now. I may need someone to host the pics to put on the site. Give me a few days.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Ok, I’ll try to get some pics of it this week. The car isn’t at my place right now. I may need someone to host the pics to put on the site. Give me a few days.
Mine was actually the opposite. The front corners were a little low. I had to very slightly shim. I had to work the sides and top edge a bit for even gaps. Had to work the bottom edge by the bumper a lot.

Overall pleased though. It is flat and smooth and didn't take much body work on the surface.

Make sure you removed the hinge spring!

Jason G.

·
Mike
7,100 Posts
I have in the past cut/slotted the underside support framing, and reglassed to hold position. You can also put wedges in if it needs to go up. This is dependent on how bad it is.....

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mine was actually the opposite. The front corners were a little low. I had to very slightly shim. I had to work the sides and top edge a bit for even gaps. Had to work the bottom edge by the bumper a lot.

Overall pleased though. It is flat and smooth and didn't take much body work on the surface.

Make sure you removed the hinge spring!

Jason G.
We removed one side of the hinge spring so it doesn’t fly open when you open the trunk. Should both sides be removed in your opinion? I still never got back over to get pics of the car. My buddy said he was working it, and was getting the corners closer to where they should be. All in all the trunk lid was pretty nice.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
does the factory lock mechanism bolt into the fiberglass and locks like the original?
I have the Glasstek on my 66 Chevelle and I had to cut a square in the lid and make a plate to back it up with. Mine also sits up a bit in the corners like the OP, thought the quality was awsome. I had to trim the edges all the way around which sucked but I would rather have the material to get the gaps looking good.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have the Glasstek on my 66 Chevelle and I had to cut a square in the lid and make a plate to back it up with. Mine also sits up a bit in the corners like the OP, thought the quality was awsome. I had to trim the edges all the way around which sucked but I would rather have the material to get the gaps looking good.

thanks for your input. I have a Glasstek 4" cowl bolt-on hood on my car and thought it fit awesome, didn't need much if any work. Currently considering getting their rear bolt-on deck lid like you guys, but that would mess up my weight distribution even more. Though reducing the car's overall weight is always good i suppose. Thinking about getting their front bumper and getting it chrome wrapped. I like the original chrome bumper look so that's why I haven't gotten it. Now that the wraps are getting so good, i am considering it.

·
Registered
19,283 Posts
If its high/low up front by the hinges, you can put a shim under the hinge at the bolt to raise/lower
the trunk at that point. If it just the tip of the trunk then prob need some body work.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts