Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can anyone tell me more about these castings? i've come across a set and was wondering if they are a great head or junk. if purchased, they will be used on a 14.5:1 421 engine with a single stage of nitrous and a single dominator. any insight would be appreciated. thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
can anyone tell me more about these castings? i've come across a set and was wondering if they are a great head or junk. if purchased, they will be used on a 14.5:1 421 engine with a single stage of nitrous and a single dominator. any insight would be appreciated. thanks in advance.
They can be very good. Depends on the port that's in them. I saw a set at my local machine shop that came off a circle track deal. Pretty poor, barely cracked 320cfm and the deck was real thin. I would offer to pay to have them flowed and local velocities checked at a familiar/trusted shop before committing.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Like it has been said, Like any casting, it all depends on the port that goes into them. If they had any work prior, I would do some measureing to make sure they aren't junk or done too far away from what you would need them for. Otherwise they are a good casting and will work fine if you get them at a good deal...

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
are thin decks a normal problem associated with these heads? i've also read elsewhere about thin deck issues. are there any other concerns/problem areas with this casting that i should be concerned about?

·
Registered
449 Posts
I have a set of these 18* 363 heads that were originally ported by Tom Slawko.I bought them a few years ago and will send them to him this summer to be flowed.It may be the best money spent to verify exactly what they are BEFORE i spend a lot of cash on them,and to fine tune the combo....if it matters the combo i had in mind is similar....421" on alcohol and a 150 shot of spray.Looking to get 775-800hp...i think it is feasable.
Grant

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah, i don't want to buy some shit castings off someone. luckily, the guy is local so i can check them out.

·
Super Moderator
35,256 Posts
Keep in mind that, like many other heads of this era, they could be old and used up. Inspect them carefully. This head has been around a very long time. You didn't state if these were new, or used.

·
Registered
7,878 Posts
If they were an older set of Comp heads, they are probably rolled, probably thin, and probably on the used up side.

If they were an older set of circle track heads, they are probably small, probably thin, and don't move any air, and still used up..

If your wanting a 18º head, buy a Trick Flow. They will probably move the same air. Just a thought..

·
Registered
517 Posts
If they were an older set of Comp heads, they are probably rolled, probably thin, and probably on the used up side.

If they were an older set of circle track heads, they are probably small, probably thin, and don't move any air, and still used up..

If your wanting a 18º head, buy a Trick Flow. They will probably move the same air. Just a thought..
Chads right its hard to find a set of 363 heads that aren't used up

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
I have a set that came off a circle track car, but I've had them for 6 years, they were'nt used up when I got them(guess I got lucky) and flowed in the 350's. About 2 years ago I sent them to Self Racing (Kevin Self). He reworked them and did the "port intruder" modification, now they flow in the 380's. My 434 made right at 700 HP with them before Self did his tricks to them, have'nt gotten the motor back together sence. Hoping for a decent gain.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
I found my flow sheet from Self Racing. Here are the numbers.
.300 211/164
.400 277/196
.500 329/225
.600 365/250
.700 369/266
.800 383/273
.900 392/279
All exhaust #'s are without a pipe,with a pipe peaked at 302.

·
Registered
20,824 Posts
If someone is in love with these castings, Bob Morton has a set in Independence Mo. BME Engines, fresh/old in the box bare castings never used, gathering dust I am sure he would part with.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Keep in mind that, like many other heads of this era, they could be old and used up. Inspect them carefully. This head has been around a very long time. You didn't state if these were new, or used.
they are used but "rebuilt." assembled with 2.15/1.625 titanium valves, titanium retainers and some roller springs.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts