Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do I need to do to my GM 10 Bolt 8.5 rearend to make it live behind a 600 hp transbrake powerglide car? It already has richmond gears, 33 spline moser axles with c-clip eliminators, and a moser spool.

Thanks in advance

Bill

·
Banned
71,969 Posts
Invest in a cast alum rear cover like the one T/A Performance offers.
You'll need to set some pre-load on the bearing caps to prevent the pinion gear from pushing the ring gear out the back of the housing.

·
Registered
303 Posts
what kind of car?

If you have leaf springs you are good to go, but if it's a 4th gen f-body then toss is and get a 12bolt or 9" before you waste more money trying to make it live. The Tq arm mount on the housing cause distortion under load that causes it to go boom.

·
SOFA KING WHAT?
43,675 Posts
And always "load" the driveline before setting the car on the T Brake.

·
Banned
71,969 Posts
And always "load" the driveline before setting the car on the T Brake.

?????

Once the brake is set, the "driveline / chassis" load goes to zero.

Ever watch guys roll in and then set the brake when the stage light comes on ? The car rocks back and forth - no load on driveline / chassis.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
?????

Once the brake is set, the "driveline / chassis" load goes to zero.

Ever watch guys roll in and then set the brake when the stage light comes on ? The car rocks back and forth - no load on driveline / chassis.

You can also wire the line lock to activate w/ the T-brake to eliminate this "rocking".

·
Banned
71,969 Posts
You could but why?

Just bump in until the stage light comes on, stop the car with the car brakes, press the TB button, concentrate on the tree while removing your foot off the brake pedal. This procedure works quite well.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Sorry about hijacking the thread, but how about this same rear end with a ladder bar setup. Would it live a little longer or would the setup eat the rear end up faster?

·
Banned
71,969 Posts
Sorry about hijacking the thread, but how about this same rear end with a ladder bar setup. Would it live a little longer or would the setup eat the rear end up faster?

Won't live as long due to the ladder bar setup.

Although he didn't say, I bet he's running leaf springs w/ slapper bars. The leaf springs will take away a lot of shock to the rear end.

You'd be better off with another rear end: 12-bolt or 9". Gears are much stronger. The housings can be beefed up as well.

At a minimum, you need a rear girdle cover - like TA Performance sells.

Good luck.

·
Banned
71,969 Posts
Just know this, sometimes when a rear end fails, it will take the transmission with it.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
There are alot of 8-9 second full-weight cars using the GM 8.5,There is plenty of parts available so use it w/confidence.

·
Banned
71,969 Posts
Are you referring to the GN rear?

·
X275!
4,937 Posts
I agree with the above statement as well. The GM 8.5" 10 bolt doesnt get the respect that it deserves. I personally believe that it is a better rear end than a 12 bolt. We have run a couple 8.5" 10 bolts into the 8s with 3200+ pound cars.

·
Banned
71,969 Posts
How many passes you guys getting on a gear set?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts