Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a glide that is supposed to be set up with a pro brake. Unknown whose valvebody or kit was used. My question is I have a BTE solenoid and pro brake valve that came with the trans, but dont have a spring for the valve. Is there supposed to be one? If so where can I get one from?
Thanks
Tim
Here is a pic of the valve and solenoid

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info guys, I read somewhere about them not having a spring, but had a local trans guy swear there was on...
Now dumb question number 2... which way does the valve go into the valve body? machined side first?
Thanks again
Tim

·
Registered
602 Posts
Is the small end of the valve hallow or solid? Hallow end valve usually have a small spring in them just to speed up the valve movement a bit

·
Registered
6,639 Posts
The valve goes in small polished land first. I like the addition of a spring but some don't use them (your type included).

Hutch
I think so as well, I bought a pro tree kit the last time I did mine and ended up drilling the spool valve for a spring. Makes sure it doesn't hang.

·
Registered
217 Posts
We do the same thing, drilled the end towards the valve body, inserted a spring, now you can here the click when testing, not only that, makes the trans-brake just a tad quicker releasing. Shhh! we used the spring out of a NAPA Ball Point Pen! :rolleyes: Burt (PS) That valve is made out of some pretty hard shhtuff!

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We do the same thing, drilled the end towards the valve body, inserted a spring, now you can here the click when testing, not only that, makes the trans-brake just a tad quicker releasing. Shhh! we used the spring out of a NAPA Ball Point Pen! :rolleyes: Burt (PS) That valve is made out of some pretty hard shhtuff!
How deep are you drilling into the valve? and I gotta ask about the spring... you serious?

·
Super Moderator
19,629 Posts
There are springs that will go over the valve and offer the same effect without drilling. That particular valve will not drill well without annealing the tip.

Hutch

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There are springs that will go over the valve and offer the same effect without drilling. That particular valve will not drill well without annealing the tip.

Hutch
Would you happen to have any springs?
Thanks
Tim

·
Super Moderator
19,629 Posts
Would you happen to have any springs?
Thanks
Tim

I have a shop full and usually make up something. Any local trans shop will likely have something hanging around in the spring pile. Drilling is an option and a good one but not everyone is set up to do that which is why im suggesting the over valve spring.

Hutch

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have access to a machine shop if I had to go that route. I will see what I can come up with.
Thank you again fellas.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Is the small end of the valve hallow or solid? Hallow end valve usually have a small spring in them just to speed up the valve movement a bit
Small spring has nothing to do with quickening the release, its to stop a complaint (really two complaints).

Sometimes the valve gets "hung" in the middle when driving through the pits, or pulling to the starting line. it's not on or off, letting some of the line pressure leak off, causing the converter to feel like it just gained some extra stall. It is really slipping.

Of course the problem goes away the moment the trans brake is activated and the valve orients itself to the proper working position.

Also it stops the customer from getting on the phone, wasting his time and mine, yelling "I push the button and it doesn't click".

·
Registered
217 Posts
All of the suggestions listed are great, not everyone has the resoures to a specialty machine shop, I personally believe both spring set ups are good ones, I just happen to use the one type for 2 reasons, drilling the front of the valve as I explained does 2 things, one, it lightens the valve and two, cures compaints of no clicking. And as you know not everyone that does the same type of work will always agree but that's what makes us individuals trying to build a better mouse trap. I know with the modifications I have made which I can't list them all, that most of my customers had to put more in their delay box to prevent them from red lighting. I believe what I suggest to people works and as same as you. They are only suggestions. All the Techs on here are good at what the do and give great Tech support. I believe what I suggest works and that's all that matters to me. With much respect; Burt

1 - 19 of 19 Posts