Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just put a glide in the car and it has a t-brake forward pattern valve body and was wondering since its a forward shift if i could go from 2nd to neutral??? i know i couldnt with my reverse c4 but not sure with my new setup.

·
Super Moderator
19,709 Posts
Its not suggested. I like to see the motor running after the pass to help cool the converter on higher powered cars. Sometimes its hard to keep the motor running when you go to neutral and it can damage parts. Im sure your turbo's won't be too happy if they oil stops going to them at 100,000 rpm.

Hutch

·
Registered
8,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Point taken. I was just trying to avoid having the motor at alot of rpm while slowing down. If I put it in neutral and the motor is still running is that ok. Still pumping tranny fluid to be cooled and turbos would still be getting oil. I'm more worried of hurting trans just because I put it in neutral

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
ATI offers their SCS-30 pump system especially for this reason. You can click off the engine & go to N and the electric pump keeps pumping fluid through the trans & converter. They can install that system in your existing case also.

The turbos are another deal and some guys do the same thing for them.

Clicking off at the stripe is commonly done for a few reasons, one being good plug reading. After decell all the way down to the return road, the plugs aren't as accurate. Another simply for less heat being made and quicker cool off time.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
8,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Would it not still cool if motor was running in neutral? My main reason was for plug readings so not something I would do every run. I'm going to be logging O2 so this will help once I find out what it wants

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Yes, if the engine is still running, the front pump is still pumping.

·
Super Moderator
19,709 Posts
Most applications now use wide band O2's , making plug readings a thing of the past. I don't recommend neutralling it but its not as bad in a glide. If you have to do it thats your choice but don't do it right at the stripe.

Hutch

·
Registered
8,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So basically let off the gas and coast a bit then do it?

·
Registered
721 Posts
I neutral mine after every pass per my engine builders request. I do have a pro tree brake though, which would require a linkage malfunction and transbrake being activated for a reverse situation. As far as internal trans wear, been doing it this way for along time with no issues inside the trans. I do leave the motor running to pump fluid though.

·
Super Moderator
19,709 Posts
So basically let off the gas and coast a bit then do it?
If you have to neutral the trans , yes, let off the throttle make sure everything is including the brakes work, chutes are out , car is straight then go ahead and put it in neutral.

In the last 5 years I have seen 4 cars lost from touching the shifter after the finish line so you can see one of the reasons why im suggesting not to neutral the car.

Engine builders get crazy about their engines in shutdown but I have yet to see a lower rod bearing worn out from lifting at the top.

Hutch

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
02s dont always tell the truth. (assuming you have a V8 and one 02 in each side) the 02 will not tell you if you have an issue in one hole. It may tell you there is a problem on one bank but you still need to pull the plugs to see which one and if its slight, or just begining to go away, you might miss it on the 02 because its averaged in with 3 good holes.

Guys who are going after the win every round are usually on the edge and checking plugs regularly. A quick click at the stripe is necessary to get a good solid reading. Or for guys shaking down a new combo and trying to find thier tune, the "click at the stripe" plug reading will get them there much quicker.

·
Registered
8,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok thanx for the info guys. At least I know I can do but just wont do it unless I have to

·
Super Moderator
19,709 Posts
Guys who are going after the win every round are usually on the edge and checking plugs regularly. A quick click at the stripe is necessary to get a good solid reading. Or for guys shaking down a new combo and trying to find thier tune, the "click at the stripe" plug reading will get them there much quicker.
Guys that are putting their stuff "on the edge" should have 8 O2's not just a bank to bank comparison.

Hutch

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Guys that are putting their stuff "on the edge" should have 8 O2's not just a bank to bank comparison.

Hutch
lol. While that sounds like a good idea, I've only seen that on one engine dyno in Indiana and I've never seen it on a car, and still ... I'll take a plug reading over an 02 any day!

·
Registered
8,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Hutch
only if someone that could make an O2 sensor that could take the heat. no way to run them pre turbo

·
Registered
8,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Super Moderator
19,709 Posts
Maybe im a dumb ass but all I ever see on a turbo plug is a bunch of carbon regardless of when you shut it off but you can see the timing mark and I don't need to neutral the car to see that.

Hutch

1 - 20 of 22 Posts