Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bill, Shannon, and Jason put some hits on the "ADRL" car last night at Gateway. There were a ton of Pro Stock cars and bikes there also testing for the US Nationals in Indy this weekend. Bill and crew were testing a new compound 33 x10.5w tire for Mickey Thompson. With the density altitude at 3000' above sea level (Gateway is 415' actual altitude) Bill made two good hits. Both hits were 6.5x sec. passes. The pass that I witnessed was a 1.00 60', 6.56 @ 211.76. Bill said that the 1/8th mile times were 4.23 and 4.25 on the passes. I am sure they will make a few hits with the Pro Stocks today.

Later,
Mike

PS: Bill, Shannon and Jason: Nice talkin' to you guys last night.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
has he ever tried the Complete Pro Stock combination on the 10.5's?

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The weather this morning was a little thick at 64 deg. F and 93% humidity when I ran (as in on the trail) at 5:40 am. The daytime high is expected to be 87 deg. or so..........
Mike

·
Registered
612 Posts
I am not bashing, just curious. How does a super lightweight car test tires that are predominately going to cars coming in at over 3,000 pounds and run much more power? Sure, ADRL cars are lightweight but how many of those are there in country? 40-50 at best, and he is the only with a small block. Sorry, I am not hating, running 6.50s with a small block on juice is pure insanity and totally cool. But how does a new tire help the Outlaw 10.5 crowd where 95% of those tires go?

·
Registered
93,064 Posts
I am not bashing, just curious. How does a super lightweight car test tires that are predominately going to cars coming in at over 3,000 pounds and run much more power? Sure, ADRL cars are lightweight but how many of those are there in country? 40-50 at best, and he is the only with a small block. Sorry, I am not hating, running 6.50s with a small block on juice is pure insanity and totally cool. But how does a new tire help the Outlaw 10.5 crowd where 95% of those tires go?
He is testing more then just 10.5's

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am thinking the new tires might be geared towards the ADRL lightweight class and not the normal 3000 lbs. plus cars???? Just a thought........
Mike

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
He is not the only car that MT uses for testing, they also use other cars for testing purposes to cover all areas.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
I bet that most people would be burned out just by the amount of tire testing passes has made. Whether you like BG or not he works his ass off!!

·
Registered
612 Posts
Ok. When I saw him at a race he said he was still going to test more Pro Stock tires too for Mickey. I am sure they are getting their money's worth out him, that is for sure.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Not that I know or anything, but I'd think if you are testing many different variants of a tire on a single car, you'd want that car's setup to be so dialed-in and scienced it wouldn't be funny. You'd need the clutch to react the same (but setting might be different for each tire), power to remain a constant run-to-run, chassis reaction the same, driving the same, etc.

I'm probably wrong so correct me please.

I would imagine that his small-block on a good hit of juice has a pretty good punch when he slides his hoof off the pedal. With a light car he can also add balast and test at higher weights. For all we know he was running the GTO with an added couple hundred pounds of balast around the car and still cranked out those numbers with the SBF.

I'd like to hear his appraisal of how testing went and what the setups were.....launchrpm, approximate how much spray and when, gear, etc. We don't need to know all of it, but some generalities would really enlighten us on what these new tires represent.

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
I dont remeber Billys exact wording but I remeber him saying something along the lines of the SBF/N20 combo being more violent or hard hitting or something to that effect then the ProStock combo, both combos being in the GTO

·
Registered
48,027 Posts
Bill told me last night that Cooper (M/T) is building and selling so many radial tires that it's been difficult for him to get all the new tire development tires done to test. The 6.561 and 6.566 have to be the quickest any SB has ever run on the 10.5W tires, maybe that includes the BB's too, I don't know.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I woke up this morning to my answering machine beeping....much to my surprise it was Billy I believe he called around 3. Billy never sleeps...hehe. Incredible ET's and that MPH ....can we say wow!!
Thanks Lil Brother for keeping me posted! Hope today is a great testing day!

Love,
Big Sis

1 - 20 of 43 Posts