Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 1-1/2 yr old cat has a impacted tooth that has her in a lot of pain and has an infection due to it . i've got to give her pain meds and anti biotics thru a syringe into her mouth and it is not any fun at all especially the bite marks on my fingers !!!

·
In Glock I Trust
6,808 Posts
They make leather gloves ya know.....

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
876 Posts
Good luck :). At a local animal shelter we volunteered at, one of the cats got sick and got the rest of them sick. All of them had to be "pilled" twice a day for a week. We volunteered for a few of the shifts and I tried, but I just didn't have the touch. I ended up being the one that recorded the paperwork and picked the cats out of the room, they would not take their meds for me but would for the girls

·
Registered
6,624 Posts

·
Registered
6,624 Posts
^^^^ see its not so hard ^^^

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It really takes two one to hold the cat and one to hold their mouth open,and you got to be fast.

i'm by myself so yes it is a little harder to do .......... can't believe a 6 lb cat can be that strong when she doesn't want the meds LOL!!!

·
Registered
7,641 Posts
Mine has cronic ear mites and I have to clean her ears and put drops in them. I go into the bathroom and close the door so she can't escape and hold her down in the sink. She hates it but knows the routine now and knows it will be quick for both of us.

Good idea on the welding gloves!

·
YB Managing Editor
51,463 Posts
I went to the pet store and got a pill gun. I grab them around the back of the head and put my thumb into the corner of their mouth. When they open up a little just shove this to the back of their mouth and POP!!! Then hold their mouth closed for a second until they swallow.

·
Registered
20,160 Posts
i hear ya-i (well, my wife) has 2 and both need throid gland meds., one is pretty much out of it, so i just grab her and squeez the crap down her mouth-the other, no way, so i have to buy the super high stuff that goes in their skin

·
Registered
15,547 Posts
It's really not that hard to do.. If you grasp the cat, by the "Nape' of the neck, behind its ears [Firmly], while it's sitting down, it will become somewhat subdued. Take the syringe, with the other hand and put it to the rear of its mouth gently, and when the cat opens its mouth [and it will] empty the syringe, and hold its head slightly tilted back.. They dont usually like it, but it works... The nape of the neck [firmly] lets the cat know, it's not in control, and will make it somewhat passive... We have 6 cats, and have done this a time or 2...
CatDawg

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i'm giving her buprenex which is basically an opriate or morphine and withing minutes she has this stupid looking blank stare that is funny as hell to see .the other is a anti biotic called doxycycline and being that itr is a large dosage it takes a couple attempts to get her to take this

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
It's really not that hard to do.. If you grasp the cat, by the "Nape' of the neck, behind its ears [Firmly], while it's sitting down, it will become somewhat subdued. Take the syringe, with the other hand and put it to the rear of its mouth gently, and when the cat opens its mouth [and it will] empty the syringe, and hold its head slightly tilted back.. They dont usually like it, but it works... The nape of the neck [firmly] lets the cat know, it's not in control, and will make it somewhat passive... We have 6 cats, and have done this a time or 2...
CatDawg
this works for me, it's a natrual way for their mothers to carry them they become passive real quick...

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
maybe get one of those spring loaded fuel guns they use for refilling the tanks on nitro R/C cars... lol

open wide little phucker!

·
Senior Frog
10,344 Posts
its tricky,I have a few cats and meds are a bitch
you have to do it quick and easy,low drama and
dont let them see the dam meds,they know!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts