Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My little girl is 10 yrs old. At practice today I finally put a radar gun on her while she was pitching, and she was throwing 45mph. For just being her second year pitching is her speed above par? Or below normal? I was just wondering how she is doing compared to other girls that are in her age group. I know that girls fastpitch is really big on the west coast. Not so much here in the south. Any feedback is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
My neice played 12U last year, and I want to say that a pitcher in the high 50's was considered very fast. At that age, the ladies improve daily. Unbelieveable how good they are now compared to back at 10U. (Maybe that's a proud uncle talking.) I would say if she's at 45 already, that's good. It was only a couple years ago they had trouble getting it across the plate.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
That's about par around here. My daughter is playing 14 and under now (travaling ball) and they are throwing 50 to 60 at that age group. If that helps. Is that 45 with accuracy? If so that's not bad.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Here is a name you can google and maybe get some info or contact her Carla Brookbank Schaal. She has pitched in the professional league and on the olympic team. She runs a pitching school also. From what I read maybe she is busy raising 4 boys right now!! She is a local girl who is just Bad Ass Good. Many yrs ago I dated her older sister and used to catch her in the backyard when she practiced. Your hand would be beat up/red pretty quick.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Her accuracy is getting better by the week. Last year she was throwing consistantly 35-38mph. And now she is at 43-45. out of 10 pitches I would say that 7 out of 10 are strikes. Not too bad. We are learning the change up and she needs some work there but like I said she improves by the week. There is a 14u girl in this area that can throw 55 and she is Crazy fast.

·
Registered
5,618 Posts
my wife has played fast pitch for years plus now coach's. She just said your daughter is above par,and to tell ya good for her.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is her second year in travel ball, and she LOVES it. I think she is gonna be really good if she keeps progressing like she is. Every year she suprises me at what she can do in softball. She can flat out KILL a softball too. No BS, she hit one today 10ft from a 220ft fence. I hate to sound like I am bragging, but she really impresses me!

·
Registered
941 Posts
When my daughter was playing 12u the pitcher on her team was mid to hi 40's. 2 years later in 16u, same girl throwning mid 60s. She might be 5'8" @ 110 lbs. She throws 100-150 pitches a day. Your daughter is on par with some of the girls in our local league.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
NICE!!!!
We got one from the state tournament last year. We are planning on hitting 3 state tournaments this year and the world series in orange beach Alabama

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Our first games will be in Southaven MS on March the 25-27th. Can't wait!!!!

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks!!!

·
Registered
290 Posts
If she is 10 , throwing 45 , 7 out of 10 hitable balls, She s right on par to be a star ! Cheryl Kemp Tn. camp if she every wants to go is a great One !!! all the coaching in the world will not help if she doesn t want it . been there spent the moeny !! Good Luck sounds like she is a great all round player too !!!

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
She really loves it. I don't have to ride her at all. She is excited every practice and wants to keep practicing when it's over. As of right now, I think she has found out that she can be really great at it and it drives her to be the best. I really hope she stays at it cause she could be a GREAT softball player. Not too bad at basketball either!! I'm sorry to brag so much but I'm pretty proud of her cause she works harder than any 10yr old that I know!

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
As has already been said, if she's accurate that's good. My girl has been playing since she was 6 and is about to start 14U. Our league is traditionally one of the best in So Cal and I'm trying to keep her involved in sports as it will only help her chances getting accepted into a good college. Keep her at it, but know pitching can take it's toll physically and mentally.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Thats why I hope she stays at it. Lord knows it would be hard to afford a Div1 school. But there is not as much publicity in this area for the schools to notice good talent. There was a girl locally, that had over 900+ strikeouts as a high school pitcher and she didn't even get any offers to attend any Div1 schools. I guess it just comes with the territory. Gotta love Tennessee

1 - 20 of 38 Posts