Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't for the life of me get a alternator belt to stay on
First I had it tensioned a little too right and it vibrated till it sheered the teeth off then I loosened it up til it would do the 90 degree rotation and it sheered half the teeth off
But while running I noticed the the alternator is flexing pretty far
Here's some pictures in open to any suggestions

I was thinking of rotating the alternator 90 degrees so it doesn't have a pivot point that is square to the crank pulley
Any other ideas?
Is it cause there just standoffs to the rear and nothing off of front for lateral support?

Thanks
Devin

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I would agree. It looks like it can pivot, so either change the bolt locations or add a third bolt if possible. How do you adjust the belt tension?

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There's no real adjustment
I just located the holes in the motorplate to mount it stationary
Then I slotted it when belt was a little too tight
Think there's a problem with being mounted just with standoffs?
What ya mean add a third bolt?

·
Registered
9,589 Posts
I have mine mounted on standoffs. I slotted the motor plate to have adjustment. I have the vacuum pump, alt., and fuel pump mounted off my motor plate with stand offs. I did throw a belt this last dyno session but that was my fault. I think I had too many things trying to run off one small belt. im making them separate now.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bruce do you have a picture of how you have it mounted
I'm interested in seeing the alternator mostly

·
Registered
9,589 Posts
I have it off now extending the bracket to move it to another belt location. let me see if I have a picture of it before I took it apart.

·
Registered
9,589 Posts
Ok I looked in my old pictures and you really cant see the alt. cause I have it mounted down low. all you can see is the vacuum pump. sorry.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Had a friend who tossed his belt every run and he only fixed it by going with a bracket that mounted off the electric water pump because of motor plate flex. Do you have some sort of engine limiter? He ran a alum motor plate, light steel midplate, solid trans mount and no limiter, it was a bbc 8 sec car. It was before the cheap cameras everyone mounts these days and I would have like to seen it, so I could of proved it and got him to install a limiter as well.

·
Registered
9,589 Posts
The 2 bolts sticking out is for the alternator. the other bracket is for the vacuum pump.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
bruceo
perfect thank you so much thats exavtly what i was thinking
glad to see it works before i swiss cheese the plate anymore
us vert guys stick together lol

ill try it and if it keeps kicking then ill look into another brace off of waterpump

thanks again guys

·
Registered
9,589 Posts
I have to slot the mount holes for for the alt. before I had the vacuum pump and the alt. on the same belt and had adjustment on the vacuum pump to adjust tension on the belt. it proved too much for that little belt on the dyno and flew off right into the damn turbo and took out all the fins on the impeller . so now im putting them all on their own belt.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well i mounted the alternator like you have it on your motor plate
i tried it tensioned like i have read on here any every where else with the 90 degree rotation
needless to say i tried all different types of tension and it ate the teeth off of three more belts

im bout ready to throw the towel in on this
the crank and alternator pulley are perfectly aligned (used straight edge and laser)
the alternator vibrates like crazy so i really dont know if thats what the problem is or what
do you have any other types of supports on your

·
Registered
9,589 Posts
Is the pitch on the belt the same as the pulleys? are both pulleys the same pitch?

·
Registered
9,589 Posts
I'd stop that alt. from moving around first before i throw in the towel.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I fought with a gilmer setup on mine for a while, kept tearing up belts. Tried everything I could think of to stiffen the alternator mount. I finally gave up and went to a serpentine setup. It just seems those gilmer setups don't tolerate a lot of flex especially with the load the alternator applies.

Good luck

·
Registered
9,589 Posts
I fought with a gilmer setup on mine for a while, kept tearing up belts. Tried everything I could think of to stiffen the alternator mount. I finally gave up and went to a serpentine setup. It just seems those gilmer setups don't tolerate a lot of flex especially with the load the alternator applies.

Good luck
I just put my alternator on a v belt and only have the vacuum pump and fuel pump on gilmer belts.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
oh really so most people dont run the gilmer belt on the alternator ? well that makes a little more sense now . so im pretty bummed wasting that many belts
where did ya get a serp or v belt pulley for a mandrel

1 - 20 of 39 Posts