Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not a recipe...But I figured you guys would get a kick out of this.

This is the homemade Giardiniera we make for our beef stand. People are addicted to this stuff.

Hand-operated dicer we used to do everything:

Looks like a large batch:

Actually, those are just the Jalepenos to mix in with the rest of the ingredients:

The finished product(previous batch):

Talk about a pain in the ass.

That red container will hold it until in finishes brining in about 36 hours. Then it gets drained and mixed with oil in a food-service drum, where it will be sealed up to pickle/cure for 3-4 weeks.

100 lbs. of veggies, plus about 15 lbs. of brining solution = a 32 gallon container filled to the brim.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Looks hot as hell!!!! Never heard of this befor... Do you serve it on a chopped beef with onions??? Like a Philly cheese steak...

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks hot as hell!!!! Never heard of this befor... Do you serve it on a chopped beef with onions??? Like a Philly cheese steak...
You've never heard of it? Yeah it's mainly used for italian beef and sausage sandwiches, but it goes good on pretty much anything. We'll eat it on pizza, burgers, chili-cheese fries. Anything that can benifit from hot peppers.

Believe it or not, that batch won't be overly hot. It'll be 'medium' and have a nice kick of garlic. We sell it at the restaurant, so it has to be something tat most people can handle.

2 batches ago my buddy did a small personal batch for family and friend...He threw in a bunch of Jabanero peppers and had to wear a mask when he cut them. THAT batch was hot.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I have a few large pepper plants loaded with peppers now... Will try to make a small batch... Do you use vinegar/water/sugar/salt/garlic for brine??? I understand if you don't want to give me exact recipe do to having a restaurant.. Thanks, Paul

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a few large pepper plants loaded with peppers now... Will try to make a small batch... Do you use vinegar/water/sugar/salt/garlic for brine??? I understand if you don't want to give me exact recipe do to having a restaurant.. Thanks, Paul
No garlic in the brine.

But yeah, it's my buddy's 100+ year old family recipe, so I can't give out details without his permission.

However, after we burn through this batch we're going to go into production with it. Meaning have a company make it and jar it for us with labels and all that jazz. If I were to start shipping out that next batch, would there be any interest on here? We're talking probably 2 months from now.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Never thought about them being uniquely Chicago but I guess they are... I put 'em on Italian beefs and subs.
It's just MUCH more common around here.

Then again, we had two Carnival workers from Miami stop in for lunch last week that had never heard of a Pizza Puff.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's an Italian Relish basically. However, this is more of the "Chicago" style.

A few different types of peppers, carrots, cauliflower, celery, and garlic. All diced up and mixed together in olive oil. It has to sit sealed in a container for 3-4 weeks to pickle. That's where it changes from it's bright colors to that duller color you can see in the finished product picture above.

When it pickles, all the flavors of everything intertwine.

If you like spicy food, Giardiniera is worth trying. Make sure you buy a good brand...There's alot of recipes out there that just suck.

Here's what you need to try it on:
-Italian Beef sandwich
-Burgers
-Pizza
-French Fries(Along with chili and melted cheddar)
-Mix it in with Chili if it needs a kick

etc.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Once you try it you will be hooked for life. I put it on my scrambled eggs for breakfast and sprinkle it on my dinner salad. Don't waste your time trying the mild version go right for the hot stuff.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Welp, we just bottled all this stuff tonight. I'll ship some if anyone wants to try it out.

$6 bucks plus shipping for a 16 fl. oz. Ball mason jar. Can't be opened till the first of June, however.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
i would be interested also if you could let me know.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Oh, by the way for guys interested in shipping, I can't get that quote till Monday. I forgot the post office is closed tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts