Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 169 Posts

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are Ghost Chili Dangerous To Eat?

Because of its intense spice which equates to 350 jalapeño peppers, the ghost chili developed a reputation as the most brutal thing anyone can eat. Being a former Guiness Book of Record-holder as the spiciest chili on the planet, the ghost chili quickly got the attention of chili enthusiasts, farmers, and culinary daredevils alike. While everyone raves about the ghost chili, the question on every first timer is this: is it safe to eat these little pods of hell? Can man withstand ingesting something that has the spice almost similar to a bottle of standard-issued pepper spray?
Surprisingly, the answer is yes. It is more than safe to ingest these menacingly spicy crops from the mountainous regions of India and Bangladesh. When the intense spice kicks in, the body releases endorphins that are actually good for the body. The spice will also make you sweat, which is always good for detoxification. No wonder farmers and locals from India use the ghost chili as a cure for stomach pains.
Although the ghost chili may seem more like a health supplement than a devastatingly spicy pepper, think again. It’s so spicy that eating it feels like gargling 300 jalapeño peppers mixed with all the chili powder in a fireman’s pantry. Some say that when spice begins to spread throughout the body, it sends a pressure that wants to escape trough the scalp. Others who have tried it say that eating it is like scraping the insides of your body with a sharp comb that’s dipped in chili sauce. Although these descriptions might intimidate any beginner, it doesn’t scare a whole bunch of people and spice enthusiasts from getting a taste of the second spiciest chili on Earth.
Ghost peppers are so spicy that gloves should be worn when handling them, and it is important to clear the eye from any contact with the ghost chili. It will sting as much as a pepper spray will. There are many ghost chili recipes that are enjoyed daily by Americans, including ghost chili wings, dip, salsa and even ice cream. It’s just a matter of time before the ghost chili is fully accepted in the culinary world as a main ingredient in dishes, and it’s safe to say that the ghost chili is far from being dangerous to eat.

·
Bovine Scatologist
17,834 Posts
Although these descriptions might intimidate any beginner, it doesn’t scare a whole bunch of people and spice enthusiasts from getting a taste of the second spiciest chili on Earth.

So, what is the spiciest chili?

·
WTF?
12,518 Posts
No. Not just no, but hell no.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have had one of those basturds and they are no joke just handling them and touched my mouth it was on fire I took it to work cause the mexicans say they could handle it they where all crying it was funny as hell im am going to try and grow some this year.

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
No fucking way I would eat a ghost pepper. A google search revealed the "Naga Viper" as the hottest peeper at 1.6 scoville units.

On another note on Man vs Food a place called Chunkys in San Antonio has a burger called the Four Horsemen Burger where they use:

The Four Horseman is a burger with four types of peppers:
- Slices of Jalapenos
- Chopped Serrano Peppers
- Habanero Sauce
- Chunks of Bhut Jolokia (also called the ‘ghost pepper’)

Read more: http://technorati.com/lifestyle/article/chunkys-four-horsemen-burger-hottest-burger/#ixzz1CjTM3VoD

·
Registered
108 Posts
i saw that guy on man vs food eat one and he looked like his head was goin to explode! no thanks

·
Registered
21,313 Posts
No fucking way I would eat a ghost pepper. A google search revealed the "Naga Viper" as the hottest peeper at 1.6 scoville units.

On another note on Man vs Food a place called Chunkys in San Antonio has a burger called the Four Horsemen Burger where they use:

The Four Horseman is a burger with four types of peppers:
- Slices of Jalapenos
- Chopped Serrano Peppers
- Habanero Sauce
- Chunks of Bhut Jolokia (also called the ‘ghost pepper’)

Read more: http://technorati.com/lifestyle/article/chunkys-four-horsemen-burger-hottest-burger/#ixzz1CjTM3VoD
I've been to Chunky's. I watched 3 guys try to eat that burger and they were all in tears after a few bites. Joey, the owner, told me that the cooks wear rubber gloves and sometimes a gas mask just to cook the damn things. Oils from the ghost pepper are used to make pepper spray/mace. I wouldn't go near that pepper.

On a side note, Chunky's has a variety of great burgers. Since that TV show they've opened a 2nd location and planning a 3rd. If anyone visits S.A. it's worth a visit. The burgers are good and if you get to watch some poor fool try the Four Horseman it's worth a chuckle.

·
WTF?
12,518 Posts
I've never understood why people eat stuff that hot. I don't enjoy anything I can't taste.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
I grown accustomed to eating fresh habaneros whole.
But ill eat a ghost pepper sliced up.
other wise no.

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
Off topic here but is the Political Section for YB short bus users?

Every other forum here including Trash or be Trashed seem to have people that can carry a conversation but over there not so much.

·
Revolution Is My Name
20,381 Posts
I have. A whole dried one. It took about 30 Min. to eat it. The funny thing is the heat builds when you stop eating it. When it was gone it was at least 45 min. before the pain went away but the burn lasted for another hour.

The fresh ones are crazy hot, even the smallest piece will light you up. I made some pepper vodka with 6 whole peppers cut in half in a 5th. It is so hot it should be served with an eye dropper. Anybody that could take a full shot I'd pay good money to video and sell.

·
Bovine Scatologist
17,834 Posts
Off topic here but is the Political Section for YB short bus users?

Every other forum here including Trash or be Trashed seem to have people that can carry a conversation but over there not so much.

whats the matter? IQ levels at least 30 points above your's a little too intimidating?

·
Impeach obama
6,174 Posts
Bhut Jolokia also known as the "ghost pepper" only held the title as "the world's hottest pepper" for a short time

The habenero has held the title for the longest, then the ghost pepper and just recently the naga viper which is actually a hybrid.

You might think the Naga Viper would hail from some part of the world with a strong demand for spicy food, such as India or Mexico. But the new pepper is actually the handiwork of Gerald Fowler, a British chili farmer and pub owner, who crossed three of the hottest peppers known to man -- including the Bhut Jolokia -- to create his Frankenstein-monster chili.
and to skos, his amp only goes to 31 :smt082

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've never understood why people eat stuff that hot. I don't enjoy anything I can't taste.
Im with you.. I have buddys who call me a pussy for getting med. I always reply with why would i want my mouth to burn?:smt078

1 - 20 of 169 Posts