Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gonna wax my motorhome & the surface is oxidized. Any idea what to use to clean the surface before I wax? I can rub my hand across the surface & get white residue on my skin. What's a good prep? Thanks again

·
Super Moderator
47,307 Posts
What he said. If it's light oxidation, a machine polish and a buffer will bring the shine back,...if it's really bad, compound "then" polish will be needed, both with a buffer.

Then, after the shine is back, you can wax the surface to protect the finish that you just rejuvenated.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Best stuff you will love it, Collinite Cleaner wax !
You can get it at a boat store, also works great on the black stains on your trailer.
GREAT STUFF...

·
Registered
6,315 Posts
I mix 3M polishing compound in a bucket of water, wipe/wash with a car wash mitt and rinse. With a buffer it's a BIG shitty job.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
We just had the exact same situation this summer. My wife and I bought a 2007 Jayco Greyhawk Class C motorhome about a year ago. It only has 10,000 miles on it but the paint was doing the exact same thing. I use Meguiar's products on all our cars so I called them for advice. They recommended a product that would removed the oxidation and polish in the same step and then follow up with a pure wax for RVs. So two steps total. We also bought a Porter Cable DA that they recommended along with the proper pads. Purchased everything from Amazon. I think with the machine, pads and two different products it was just over $200. I ran the machine and my wife came along behind with rags and removed it.

I don't have any pictures but it is a night and day difference. RV looks brand new; shiny and slick. It took us about 10 hours total to do the whole thing together (31') but it was well worth the time. We store it inside so I don't see it getting that bad again and hope it only needs a wax every summer or two depending how much we get out.

Scott

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
My plan is to drive it to Rocky Point Mexico, park by the beach and let some enthusiastic Mexicans do it while I drink heavily.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Clean it with bar keepers friend, then apply ZEP commercial floor wax. No shit check out the RV sites. I did mine turned out great!!

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
Put down the wax, first off to you have a spare week of vacation time?

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Was it a Porter Cable drywall DA on a pole or just a hand held one?
Hand held and we used a ladder. It really wasn't that bad. Each side, each "coat" took about an hour. I'd do a section top to bottom, move down a section and my wife came behind me to remove it. Honestly it took us about 10 hours total and was well worth it. I can't even imagine what someone would charge you in labor to do the same job and I doubt that it would be done as well. We did one section an evening over the course of a week. Doing it all in one day would get old quickly but you go through a bunch of towels removing material.

Scott

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
Come on over you can do mine also. I wash mine with Bio Blue helps keep it shiny.

Ray

·
Ass, Gas or Grass
17,204 Posts
Go to the nearest store, pick up a 12 pack of beer... Wait, put that down, look to the right... Grab a CASE of beer... Now you're set! After consuming said case, decide that "Fuck It, it looks good enough the way it is!"...:)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts