Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, i'm looking to get into the drag racing scene and really am not sure if theres a profession that can be made out of it or if it is really just a hobby. Reason for asking is i'm 20 years old with not much of a passion for anything but cars and drag racing. I haven't much experience with working on cars besides basics (but i havent ever gotten a chance to learn either as i work full time and cant make classes or anything to learn). All id love to do is race and be able to tinker/work on cars make em fast an fun but I of course have to live doing so by making money. Any suggestions or guidance on what you might believe is a good course of action or a good first step into the racing world and making some $ doing it? Any feedback/guidance questions etc are appreciated!

·
AG Jeff is my Hero
6,348 Posts
To make money in racing, you need a good load of talent and luck. If it were easy to make money in racing everyone would be doing it. As far as learning goes, the best way to learn is to get your hands dirty or is for me at least. Get a project car and start tinkering with it. Take things apart and learning how they work and put them back together and see if they still work as intended. If your friends are working on cars, offer to help. Cars are kind of generic in the way they work for the most part. If you don't know how to do something, watch videos, ask friends, ask on here or other car forums. You should be able to find good info and be lead in the right direction most of the time.. ALWAYS do your own research if your taking advice online. There is a right and wrong way to do things. a little digging will go a long way to make sure your doing things correctly. Also, don't just buy random parts and toss the car together, it will never run well if you do that. Do some more research and make sure parts are a good match for each other. Not only for compatibility with each other but to make sure they will perform well together. Call the manufacture on the parts you want to use, most will be able to point you in the right direction for parts to use with their products to get good or decent results.

·
Registered
906 Posts
If you've got a real desire for the sport, and your'e eager to learn, go to some of the 'bigger' street car races near you to scope out the pits. An example would be the Strange race at Cecil every month. You may be able to make friends with some of the racers... Ask/offer to help with their car/program. Even if it's just spray detailing the paint between rounds, or going to the snack bar to get burgers and drinks at first, you will have a foot in the door to learn and advance as your skill set grows. Good luck.

·
Banned
32,889 Posts
Buy a $1000 shit box car then dump $10000 into it, report back after a year

Hey, i'm looking to get into the drag racing scene and really am not sure if theres a profession that can be made out of it or if it is really just a hobby. Reason for asking is i'm 20 years old with not much of a passion for anything but cars and drag racing. I haven't much experience with working on cars besides basics (but i havent ever gotten a chance to learn either as i work full time and cant make classes or anything to learn). All id love to do is race and be able to tinker/work on cars make em fast an fun but I of course have to live doing so by making money. Any suggestions or guidance on what you might believe is a good course of action or a good first step into the racing world and making some $ doing it? Any feedback/guidance questions etc are appreciated!

·
Banned
322 Posts
i'm 20 years old with not much of a passion for anything but cars and drag racing.
there is no money to be made racing and if you think you have a passion for cars, go to school and learn the trade. Then get a job working for someone fixing them and if after working for this guy for 5 years you still like cars, then open up your own shop. The $ that you'll make as a business owner will allow you to race at some level.

·
Banned
32,889 Posts
How does it feel to always be wrong? Based on your poor financial and family decisions if I were you I won't be bringing up anything of mine because they're stellar compared to anything you have ever done or achieved in that small fish bowl you call a life. Go sell another beta fish to a 6 year old loser

That's what you did correct?
But after tens of thousands, you still have a shitbox!

1 - 20 of 58 Posts