Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife and I were getting tired of going through so much ammo while at the range, so I purchased a savage 110 precision in 6.5 creedmoor, and a vortex viper 5-25x50. I am hoping this will be a good entry level setup for her and I to enjoy range days a little longer. What resources have you more experienced shooters had better luck with for learning? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
The long range shooting handbook is pretty good. I have the Kindle edition and it’s helped me. I have been shooting in some precision AR matches. They’re a blast! Good luck and have fun!!

·
Registered
245 Posts
First thing, is your scope mil or moa, first or ssecond focal plane. What are you considering long range. You have a set up that will get you out a ways when you learn how to use it

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
First thing, is your scope mil or moa, first or ssecond focal plane. What are you considering long range. You have a set up that will get you out a ways when you learn how to use it
Mil, ffp. 1000 to 1500 yards ish.

·
Registered
21,145 Posts
Get yourself a couple of Bryan Litz books. Bryan knows his stuff.

Applied Ballistics for long range shooting and
Accuracy and Precision for Long Range Shoooting

Bryan Litz Books | Berger Bullets
This. It’s the bible For LR.

There are also a few forums loaded with LR shooters and great threads.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Mil, ffp. 1000 to 1500 yards ish.
Good, everyone has their personal preference but I personally shoot mil ffp. You should be in the game with your setup. A good slide rule for figuring drop is the milldot master. Other apps like "shooter" on your phone work well also. Several ways of setting your gun up, I do mine different than most probably but , again that's personal preference

·
Registered
900 Posts
Spend time to learn how to read mirage and wind. Takes time to master (or never :) but will help you know when "not" to shoot.

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
Not terribly long range, but we have a .223 that we use for coyotes. My 16 year old has plugged two of them so far right through mid torso, and they get back up and take off. I'm sure they bleed out. But once they are moving again my ability to drop them isn't real good. A little more dropping power would be a good thing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts