Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Working on my 56 Chev wagon and the drivers door has ... bend in it?
I know nothing about bodywork and trying to stumble through this car.
Was looking at fibreglass replacement door but thought I would try and make this work first.
I was thinking about cutting the door under where the skin meets the door frame and try and push in and re weld.
I formed a piece of copper tubing to the shape of the door and compared to the passenger and it is definitely bent where it meets fender.
Any suggestions on how tho proceed?

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
It would appear it has been over extended, I would like to look at it to make a good assessment, how is the hinge area of the door?
Is it bent there, and if it is bent how you say, how is the skins bodywork, does it take a jog, is it straight, is if full of filler, That is really hard to asses without seeing more, I would not cut anything unless I had to, It fit at one time didn't it, cutting it would not fix it, look for the damage and fix that. sorry for such shitty info but, again I would like to look at things very closely and look for the reason of such a gap or bend!

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, for the input. I bought the car as a disassemble project. This is as close as I can get the drivers door, there is some signs of damage near the upper hinge but with the door fitting as well as it does it makes me think damage is localized. Might have been pushed out by fender in the accident.?

·
Registered
12,941 Posts
Does the fender need to be moved out? How are the hood gaps at the cowl area?

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I haven't tried mounting the hood yet. Here is another couple of pics. The lower door curve seems correct but starts to go out at the chrome line.

·
Registered
12,941 Posts
I would fit the hood before anything. If you match the door to the fender then have to move the fender for your hood gap, you'll be in a mess again. The fender to cowl gap looks good, but the hood will square everything up.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks I will give it a try, I have some dolly's and body hammers from cleaning out my Dads garage so time to learn I guess.
Will also put the hood on to see where it is at.

·
Registered
7,055 Posts
it fits the windshield post sweet and the fender looks good to the cowl...like stated above looks like the corner needs beat down...everything else looked pretty good in the pics

·
Registered
171 Posts
The cowl to fender gap is pretty tight for a trifive. You can gain some there. Check the P.S. i bet its wider. Other than that, yeah BFH and wood to cushion it.

·
Registered
501 Posts
The cowl to fender gap is pretty tight for a trifive. You can gain some there. Check the P.S. i bet its wider. Other than that, yeah BFH and wood to cushion it.
^^^^This^^^^

The fender to cowl gap on my 55 is about 1/4" wide. I would install the hood, get the front end sheet metal squared up with the rest of the car and see where you're at with hood/fenders/cowl and door gaps. Then you can start beating on the door. It does look like that top corner is bent out some.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the help guys. I won't be able to get back to it for a couple days now.
The tip on the fender/cowl gap is good to know, been a long time since I have messed with a Tri5. The passenger side is kind of opposite issue with the fender to cowl rather large and the door corner at hitting upper part A pillar.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok took a break from the car to get our Motorhome ready for trip to AZ in a couple weeks.
Put the new hood hinges on and am pretty happy with the fender alignment so went back to that drivers door. It seems the door was pushed out where the upper hinge mounts so I worked away at that till the door fit ok and pushed in the upper part of door that was bent near the fender and think it is pretty close.
This is not going to be a show car by any means so I am happy with where I got.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts