Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Bovine Scatologist
17,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a GSHP once and loved that dog. I have since had two labs and they have been great also.

The GSHP was never trained and I never got to use him as a hunting dog. The two labs I had were trained (by me) and hunted well. I dove and duck hunt, so I am more interested in the retrieving aspect, and not the pointing.

I need a new dog and a friend is giving away registered GSHP. I know I will love the dog for all the other, non-hunting reasons, but can they be trained to be more like a lab (for my purposes)?

Would a GSHP make a good retriever?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Mine was a great retiever on land and water, but I felt sorry for him in the cold icey water. My Labs could sit in ice water all day.

·
Bovine Scatologist
17,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cool, looks like a got me a new huntin dog.

·
Registered
7,174 Posts
Not that they cant but I would say no. Sure they can be 'trained' to retrieve when 'commanded' to do so, get what im saying? Labs a better all around dog in my opinion and I know guys with some pretty damn good shorhairs. Plus, shorthairs have the personality of a post.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Not that they cant but I would say no. Sure they can be 'trained' to retrieve when 'commanded' to do so, get what im saying? Labs a better all around dog in my opinion and I know guys with some pretty damn good shorhairs. Plus, shorthairs have the personality of a post.

maybe you know guys with good shorthairs, but you've probably not been around the breed much to make a comment about them having the personality of a post. the shorthairs i have (show AND field champions and grand champions on both sides of the family tree) have great personalities, are VERY people oriented and always want to make their master happy. i've owned brittanys, english pointers, and shorthairs (mostly shorthairs for the last 20 years) and i would rather have NO other pointing or retrieving breed.

answer to the OP's question is YES YES YES. my shorthairs both point and retrieve, and always have.

·
Registered
909 Posts
If you strickly duck hunted and were in a northern clime then I'd say I'd say pass and get a CBR or Lab. However if I lived in a southern clime and wanted an all around good upland and duck dog then I couldn't think of a better dog to have then a GSH. They are great hunters and family friendly. Not sure where the "personality of a post" comes from as the GSH's I've hunted with were amazing hunters with great personalities.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
I have had a GSH for ten years. I don't hunt, we just bought him as a pup because my wife loved his character. We now have a 5 yr daughter and 3yr old son. Our GSH is awesome around the kids. When my dad starts to play around with my kids, Parker will bark and get between my dad and the kids. He was a bit high strung as a pup but a hell of a dog.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts