Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, everone I have been lurking around for a while so I finally decided the regstier. I am going to redo my chassis in my truck. I first time I TIG welded this chassis I had a very tough time welding in tight spots. My question is what type of tig torches are you guys useing ? Finger tip control or foot control?

THX for any help.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I don't tig weld but when we did my Vega my buddy uses the finger tip control and I can see why. Some positions you need to get into tto weld some spots there's no way you could use the foot control.

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
i only use a foot control,never did like those finger controls.you don't have to use your foot for the foot control.sometimes i will have someone else work the pedal while i weld or put it between my knee's and depress it that way.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Same here, I only use the foot pedal. I bought a finger control and hate it tried it once and never used it again.

·
Super Moderator
35,256 Posts
HHmmmmm interesting. I was considering buying a finger control for the above reasons.... but you're saying I'd be better off getting creative with the pedal....??

·
Registered
818 Posts
There you go, I guess it's an indivual thing. My buddy pretty much had to get use to it since he's mostly alone in his shop and there's some spots between the knees could be tough.
I'm also considering down the road to pick up a tig and will probably go with the foot control now that you guys say that and if I had to I could have someone to run it. I can weld but never had the opportunity to use tig so the less complicated the better for me. :)

·
Registered
545 Posts
gilsbachracecraft said:
hey deputydog it's innocent until proven guilty :-D
My motto makes my job a little less stressfull.

Chris, if you want to try one, get the slide style. The one I bought is a thumbwheel style, which turns sideways and it sucks.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The one I bought is a thumbwheel style, which turns sideways and it sucks
I would have to agree on that one. I might try a slide type and see if it works better.

I am a welder by trade but all the welding I do is on a table with a pedal. Welding in a car is'nt as easy as it looks :lol:

·
Registered
274 Posts
I was talking to the local welding shop about buying a tig welder, and checked on a hand control. They suggested using a micro switch mounted to your standard torch. According to them you set your welder and just use the micro switch to turn it on and off.

What is your opinion on a Lincoln squarewave 185 tig welder? It will primarly be used for in my home garage.

·
Super Moderator
35,256 Posts
I have the Lincoln 185 Tig.... it's a sweet welder. It'll do almost anything I need it to do... I can't do a lot of aluminum though until I get a water torch....

·
Registered
548 Posts
I second the Lincoln Squarewave 185. I have used one in my shop for 9 years now and it's the only one I'll use for cage work . I have others but like this one the best.
David

·
Clown
3,779 Posts
I to tried the thumb wheel and i hate it

I just do what billy does run the pedal how ever i can or have someone else run the pedal.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
check out the Thermal Arc 185 inverter (new )

I researched the miller, lincon, etc... on the welding sites....and happend upon the mention of this welder....everyone on there was so impressed..(long time welders mentioned how "creamy smooth" the welding is....Yes does ac High frqcy...

I baught on...about the same price as the miller, but is an inverter power source...very small and light weight...(much more efficient with electric) works great..digital readouts, pulser, and a ton of other features not found on the blue or red units.....

something to consider

mike

·
Bring on the Metal!!
9,483 Posts
I use both Foot and Hand control depending on the application. I have a Lincoln Squarewave 175 and love it but hate Lincolns hand control. Millers are nicer. I'm looking into a new torch with a built-in hand control that's smaller and a rotary style instead of the slider style like Lincoln uses. I love the smooth arc of the Lincoln machines though.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Monty- that would still be finger tip control on the pen to write the check right? :-D :-D :-D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts