Yellow Bullet Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
14,026 Posts
If you work in a garage and a customer with a RWD car pulls in with a smoking front brake rotor don't throw it up on the lift without letting it cool.

Did this years ago (was late on a Friday trying to beat the clock) and right as I pulled the wheel off the dust cover blew off the rotor and boiling grease hit me in the face and one large droplet made a hell of a blister right below my eyeball.

And yeah by all means take every precaution you can with cut-off wheels and wire brushes.

Another weird one on eye safety is needle nose pliers...several OSHA studies in different occupations have found the number one way to loose an eye is by pulling on something like a spring with needle nose and loosing your grip and stabbing yourself in the eye.

·
Registered
22,846 Posts
Zipties can be VERY dangerous to small children . If they put one around their neck , it can kill them . Ive actually seen a kid do this and luckily there was an adult near by that cut it off . But if there wasnt , there would have been no way that child was getting that thing off .

Dont leave them lying around !

·
Registered
205 Posts
Yesterday had to use the fire extinguisher, other tech had a 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 5.2L with a #7 misfire and was spraying around the intake checking for a vacuum leak and lit that thing up. So, had to grab the extinguisher and run over there lol.....I didn't train him.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Use goggles instead of a glasses or a shield when working around metal shavings..Grinding cutting and so on, Learned the hard way that a full face shield does little to protect your eyes from flying metal shaving when they bounce off your shirt and upwards under the shield. 2 trips to get it out and 2 more for the eye infection that followed.

Another one that got me, I never used a welding shield when using a plasma cutter and never had a problem until I had my truck up on a lift and had to cut holes in a crossmember big enough for dual exhaust to pass through. I never thought about the extra exposure from being eye level as I cut.
Only took a few minutes to cut but a couple hours later I realized I was screwed. Eyes started feeling like they were full of sand, It only lasted a couple hours but I'll never do that again.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am a retired toolmaker and worked a lifetime of wrenching on fasteners while spindles are turning. ALWAYS look at where your hand will go if that fastener or wrench were to slip off or break. I have learned this the hard way when younger and more impatient.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts