Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to all that post things that can help us be more safety conscious...Getting hurt sucks!

Gas can filling burns and explosions
Using brake clean before welding
Welding galvanized coated metal
Paint fumes (proper gear)
Heating of Nitrous tanks

etc..
etc..

Would be great to have a section or a sticky with a list of items we all tend to take for granted or ignore.... (some we never knew about...)

·
Registered
20,697 Posts
Getting old and falling down!!!!

Several years ago I injured my left shoulder. I don't have hundreds of thousands at my disposal, and it will likely NEVER heal in my lifetime.

This last summer I took a fall and whacked my left wrist on a piece of wood and bruised and sprained it. It has recovered, but I ALSO injured my RIGHT shoulder, and though it's some better, it's still "trick" and MAY NEVER HEAL

Early this winter I drug home a big recliner and TV, and after successfully getting both up the front steps, the LAST TRIP down the steps, I fell on my back with the sharp edge of a step across my back. Bruised, sore, but not seriously injured, I have recovered

Then, this winter I fell in the shed, my right arm under my side. My right arm "grazed" the foot of the engine stand hard enough to cut my arm through layers of outer clothing. The bone has developed a large "bump" even though the "report" from Xray says "it's not broke." The muscle / tissue is getting better, but still a bit tender.

ALL OF THIS could have been MUCH more serious or even DEADLY

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Always pull the plug wire off if screwing with the lawn mower....

my cousin had one start while working on a push mower and cut off a few fingers..

They were reattached and all is well after years of therapy, but that left a lasting impression on me.. Always comes to mind when I'm working on yard equipment

·
Mike
7,100 Posts
Suit up, glove up, with glasses for grinding. All I did was start the grinder to see if I could get to the spot. It bounced off of another bar, cut a knuckle to the tendon. Dumb ass move.....

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
Always wear a face shield when using cut-off wheels. Your face won't stop them.
Matter of fact those wheels will go through a face shield and still get you, but not as bad.

Oldie, but a goodie. Happened to a guy I know.

He was using a wire wheel to clean up a frame. He thought a hornet got him in the nuts. Nope. You know where this is going don't you?

Poor devil had to go in for surgery to get the piece of wire removed from his right nut.

Always wear heavy clothing and a leather apron when using wire wheels. Better yet don't use them, ever. Every time I see a wire wheel I remember that poor bastard and cringe.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Wear your PPE.
No, seriously. Wear safety glasses even if you're just hammering that pesky nail back into the carpet transition strip in the living room. Shit, wear tarsal and shin protection when using a chainsaw. Wear fall protection when working at height or climbing (that includes your deerstand). If you're not sure what you should be wearing consult the instructions or ask the internet.

Lockout/tagout.

Before working on a piece of equipment, de-engergize it, relieve any stored energy, and then if ANYONE else uses the same space, tag or lock out the isolation mechanisms. All it ever takes is someone walking into the garage and flipping a breaker.

Hot Work.
Whenever performing an operation that produces heat or sparks always clear flammables from a ten foot radius of the work, use welding blankets when necessary, and purge potentially explosive atmospheres (like a gas tank or drum) prior to cutting/welding/grinding.

These are Blue Collar 101 but I see guys that work all day in an industrial setting doing stupid shit in their own garage all the time.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Store sharps/extra blades properly, one time digging round in a tool box top I cut three of my fingers pretty good on a spare blade. Now I keep a box with SHARPS written on it for all extra blades, plus it's easier to find them.

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
Fire extinguisher at each garage/shop exit. You don't want the fire between you and one when you need it.

CO detector in your lounge/living quarters/toter/RV/etc. Generators kill.

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Don't heat control arms with torch to remove/loosen balljoints. They explode and shoot out the stud like a rocket. (ones with no grease fitting in them to vent) Guy here has had like 6 operations to put his leg back together/patch up.

·
Registered
16,267 Posts
Completely clean up EVERY spill as fast as it hits the ground. Just a small amout of oil/lube/grease on a floor (especially smooth concrete) can cause you to slip and fall. If you are holding something when you slip, it's even worse.

I still have a scar on the inside of my arm from walking across a patch of oil on the garage floor carrying a 1/2 assembled VW block. I actually fell in a very controlled way, but was cradling the block and it put a nasty gash into the inside of my arm as I held it while going down on my ass. This was 45 years ago and I remember it quite well still.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Completely clean up EVERY spill as fast as it hits the ground. Just a small amout of oil/lube/grease on a floor (especially smooth concrete) can cause you to slip and fall. If you are holding something when you slip, it's even worse.

I still have a scar on the inside of my arm from walking across a patch of oil on the garage floor carrying a 1/2 assembled VW block. I actually fell in a very controlled way, but was cradling the block and it put a nasty gash into the inside of my arm as I held it while going down on my ass. This was 45 years ago and I remember it quite well still.

This goes for those plastic tie wraps too.. cut the tails off and watch out... step on those and you're on the ground faster than you can say what the...*&%!

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Spin-off from other thread on T or BT...but still a golden rule:

DURING HUNTING SEASON DO NOT BE OUT WALKING IN FIELDS..OPEN AREAS ETC. WITHOUT BRIGHT ORANGE. Best to avoid all together....

Yes, you shouldn’t have to but others are STUPID...be smart!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts