Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Potentially. We had a "any 427/454 block will go .060" over" rule born back in the days before we had a sonic tester in the shop. I figured the rule would apply for the Gen V and VI 454 blockls but I wanted to be certain. Cust brings in a Gen V block looking for some performance so I sonic test the block before I rough it. Turns out the block suffers from core shift and some of the non thrust walls are showing thin. I offset the boring bar and only went .030" over.

Long story short, you need to sonic test the block to prove it's a good candidate.

·
PowdercoatBill
9,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Potentially. We had a "any 427/454 block will go .060" over" rule born back in the days before we had a sonic tester in the shop. I figured the rule would apply for the Gen V and VI 454 blockls but I wanted to be certain. Cust brings in a Gen V block looking for some performance so I sonic test the block before I rough it. Turns out the block suffers from core shift and some of the non thrust walls are showing thin. I offset the boring bar and only went .030" over.

Long story short, you need to sonic test the block to prove it's a good candidate.
Thanks for the info. I'll take it over to the machinest and have him test it before we go any further.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts