Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Put a new Engine Pro set (billet- 2002T) on a Gen VI I'm assembling here, having interference with the stock cover. Did a bit of research into this and it seems all they offer is Mark IV sets and to use this requires an aftermarket cover to clear this dbl roller Timing set on this block

I think I've heard there is a set that will fit under the stock cover (billet dbl roller) from Rollmaster and would like to hear from anyone who's had experience using it,or dealing with this issue ... :confused:

Stock gearset was used on this sft setup originally, and only after 2 seasons of moderate driving and occasional trips to the track yeilded 4 deg of rollback and one broken tooth off the crank gear .. :rolleyes: .... Not gonna cut it

·
Registered
13,485 Posts
do you have the proper front cover
do you have the proper oil pan...??
does the can have the smaller bolt circle for the three bolts to mount the gear...and are you wanting to employ the thrust plate....???
or are you using the gen 3 type (early type) cam....

is the front cover that you have stamped / formed steel or is it plastic..

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I wound up going with a comp billet two piece cover on my 540 , I'm not sure if any double roller will fit behind the factory cover ?!?!

·
Registered
6,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
do you have the proper front cover
do you have the proper oil pan...??
does the can have the smaller bolt circle for the three bolts to mount the gear...and are you wanting to employ the thrust plate....???
or are you using the gen 3 type (early type) cam....

is the front cover that you have stamped / formed steel or is it plastic..
Yes
Yes
It has a solid flat tappet cam in it that was originally used in a Mark IV design and a Cam button was used ...... no TP

This cover is oem cast Alluminum .... 6 hole

some of the stock gearset gears themself are junk material

also could have an alignment issue...
also could have a endplay issue...
Agreed on the junk ......:rolleyes:

No endplay issue ... spot on

I wound up going with a comp billet two piece cover on my 540 , I'm not sure if any double roller will fit behind the factory cover ?!?!
That's my thoughts also, I've yet to see it with my own eye's but have seen in a search or two last night that some people have done it with the Rollmaster set ?

I bet Mr Straub or Mr Jones could shed a bit of light on the situation .....

·
Registered
297 Posts
I ran into this years ago before I stopped working on my Gen 6 and put the car in storage. What I came up with was this....order a cheap alum aftermarket timing cover off ebay. Mill out approx .100 in the area that hits. I figured out in mock up that a DR chain on a 6 will clear if you double up the gaskets on that cheap cover I mentioned.

The gasket I used for testing I think was .060 and if you can take out .090-.100 you should have plenty of room and not have to use 2 gaskets. I never got the cover milled but I think this would work as the cover was thick enough all around the TC area for milling.

Do your own mock up with 2 gaskets and see how it works out. Measure the second gasket and use clay and dykem to see where your problem areas are.

Your other options are either a high dollar front cover from Comp Cams or convert over the cover and pan to a Gen IV which I heard works too.

·
Registered
6,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I ran into this years ago before I stopped working on my Gen 6 and put the car in storage. What I came up with was this....order a cheap alum aftermarket timing cover off ebay. Mill out approx .100 in the area that hits. I figured out in mock up that a DR chain on a 6 will clear if you double up the gaskets on that cheap cover I mentioned.

The gasket I used for testing I think was .060 and if you can take out .090-.100 you should have plenty of room and not have to use 2 gaskets. I never got the cover milled but I think this would work as the cover was thick enough all around the TC area for milling.

Do your own mock up with 2 gaskets and see how it works out. Measure the second gasket and use clay and dykem to see where your problem areas are.

Your other options are either a high dollar front cover from Comp Cams or convert over the cover and pan to a Gen IV which I heard works too.
Well, it's not my call exactly on which direction to go here ...alls I can do is offer the owner suggestions as to what might work with this setup. A good cover to clear the set I have here would start off in the price range of 150 - 180, mockup and modifying wouldn't be to far behind imo ...

I ran the optional cover idea past him and haven't heard back yet, plus I'm still waiting on word from one of my machinists about a usable gearset ...

·
Registered
14,846 Posts
Rollmaster does have a Gen6 billet double roller that fits under the stock aluminum cover. We have them in stock and I use them all the time.

·
Registered
13,485 Posts
there is a vertical alignment issue that needs to be understood and allowed for along with the fact that it is a six bolt coverand he is not using the thrustplate, so, how and where the nose of the cam is positioned according to the lifters not hitting the opposite bank lobe must be checked individually....BTW, the problem with using the small bolt circle deal is that there is no three hole / bolt lock plate available...

·
Registered
6,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rollmaster does have a Gen6 billet double roller that fits under the stock aluminum cover. We have them in stock and I use them all the time.
Does it bolt up to the previous mark IV cam end and still remain behind the stock cover in a Gen 6 application ??

1 - 10 of 10 Posts