Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
TwistedTerror
4,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a question wheather I need less gear or not, or am I fine? Got a 78' cutlass with decent SBC, I've shifted from 6k up to 7k and it goes faster when it gets shifted at 6k. It has 4:56 gears with 29" slick. Goes through traps at 7k. I was just curious, there's over a tenth difference when i shift at 6k compared to 6500. Thanks!!!!

·
TwistedTerror
4,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
By the way, 8" 5500-5800 converter. Est 3500 lbs. Mild built motor not stroker or nothing crazy

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
obviously the motor is not making power upstairs so I would probly look at backing the gear down to a 4.30 or a 4.10, if a friend has a gearset for you to try (9" third?) I would give it a shot. also are you sure your valve springs are not going away? is this a hydraulic or solid lifter?

·
TwistedTerror
4,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I was thinking less gear too. The valve springs are .030 less lift than the cam. The cam lift is .030 higher than the spring rating im trying to say.

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
I was thinking less gear too. The valve springs are .030 less lift than the cam. The cam lift is .030 higher than the spring rating im trying to say.
so your springs are rated for .500 lift (I am using simple numbers) and your cam has .530 lift? Have you checked for coil bind? that is not a good thing and should be corrected before any gear swap.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
so your springs are rated for .500 lift (I am using simple numbers) and your cam has .530 lift? Have you checked for coil bind? that is not a good thing and should be corrected before any gear swap.

Oh good , it wasn't only me that took that statement that way. Wow, someone likes to live on the edge.

·
TwistedTerror
4,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah im going to change the springs, im going to get ones that match my cam. Only reason I didn't change them was low on funds. But I got 25 passes out of it, but its parked for the winter so im going to get springs and lower gear. Thanks for the help

1 - 8 of 8 Posts