Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have reposted this from the trans section. Hoping for some thoughtful opinions/discussion. I have a buddy who has a nice little procharged 383" small block in an 80 malibu. Car runs well (9.30's @ 143, 1.33 60') but is very inconsistent on the hit. I will be going through the rear end soon( new adjustable upper and lca's, add a rear brace to the 9", cut the housing ends off and straighten, as well as build new upper and lower control arms) and we got to talking about the gear he runs. The issue I see in videos, and from racing against him, is that the car wants to snap the front end up into the air, and as soon as the front tires leave the ground, they immediately come back down, and on the way down, unload the rear end and blow the tires off. My Chevy II (3400#) runs a 5.3 LS turbo, making about 1000, with a 400 and a 3800 stall (leaving at 3500) , pro torque converter, 3.50 gear on a 275 pro. He runs a glide, with a 5500 stall converter, leaving at 43-4600, but runs a 4.10 gear. I'm thinking he needs to drop the rear gear down somewhat. I'm thinking 3.50, and along with the glide 1st gear, should make the car work harder at the hit, and help to keep the front end down. I know through reading this forum, that with a glide, the converter is critical to making the car work. He has called Hutch previously, and in his opinion, his trans/converter combo is pretty close. He runs DA shocks all around, and his shock settings are very close to mine, but mine doesn't come at all close to hiking the front wheels off the ground. This is why I'm wondering about gear choice. We're both on the same 275 pro tire. I'm on a 12" wheel, he's on an 8" wheel, and doesn't have the money to do a frame notch and wider wheel this year. Thanks for you thoughts.

·
Registered
13,228 Posts
I’ll see if I can get a member with a similar combo to your buddy to come post in here.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Rob I started with a 3.50 gear with my current set up then went to a 3.90 and now currently a 4.30 for the 1/8. But Im not sure id drop to the 3.5 for the 383 may try the 3.70 or 3.90 first. Just my thoughts on the gear I also have a glide with a 1.80 gear.

·
Registered
15,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do
Rob I started with a 3.50 gear with my current set up then went to a 3.90 and now currently a 4.30 for the 1/8. But Im not sure id drop to the 3.5 for the 383 may try the 3.70 or 3.90 first. Just my thoughts on the gear I also have a glide with a 1.80 gear.
Thanks Chris. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
If he is already geared for the stripe, a first gear change might be a better way to go, assuming he has 1.8 now. Expensive though. I would bet your rear suspension mods will help alot if you're able to improve the AS. I would be curious what the rear spring rate is too,

·
Registered
15,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's what we're going to do. Make the suspension changes, and test with the same gear with the geometry, and as set correctly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts