Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am finishing up my gauges in my Elcamino and currently have Autometer mecahanicle gauges for my oil pressure and water temp gauges. I started to finish up the install and am not liking the copper tubing deal. It seems to bulky and bound to lead to a problem. Is it better to go with the elctrical gauges? It seems alot easier to run wiring rather than the copper tubing.
this is what I got going on so far

·
Registered
697 Posts
I prefer mechanical. But I'm old school. :(
Don't run a copper line those tend to crack and break in time. Run a steel braided line easy to work with.

·
Registered
17,129 Posts
I like the Autometer electrical gauges. If you get creative, you can hook up the signal wire from 2 separate temp/pressure sensors thru a toggle switch and have one gage read either of two pressures/temps by switching the toggle position. Example - one position the gauge will read oil pressure, in the other position it will read fuel pressure.

Be warned though - the temperature sensors are inexpensive, but the pressure sender for the high end gauges costs approx $100.

·
Registered
17,129 Posts
Mechanical, no NEED for electric....It's like having power windows. Who gives a shit.
Well, I personally don't like to have fluid lines in the passenger compartment. I know the fuel is not allowed.

·
Registered
697 Posts
No gauges. No problems. Were my gauges are mounted if I looked down, I'd probaly wreck my car. Can't see shit anyways because of those damn sunglasses I wear all the time.:). I sometime's wonder why I even have gauges.

·
Registered
47 Posts
one issue i have had is my sport comp oil pressure guage is electric, and reads 10psi lower then a mechanical sport comp. i did this test same night cold start up and warm wondering if anyone else has had this problem also?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I am finishing up my gauges in my Elcamino and currently have Autometer mecahanicle gauges for my oil pressure and water temp gauges. I started to finish up the install and am not liking the copper tubing deal. It seems to bulky and bound to lead to a problem. Is it better to go with the elctrical gauges? It seems alot easier to run wiring rather than the copper tubing.
this is what I got going on so far
super clean i like it been wanting to do that with mine. was wondering if anyone has used and had any problems with covans classic dash inserts for guages. thinking about ordering one for my car.

·
Registered
11,383 Posts
All electric gauges here. No need for mechanical anymore. Even the AutoMeter tech guys that repair them told me their electrics are actually more accurate than the mechanical gauges. How many modern day cars do you see with mechanical gauges? That's what I thought...

·
Tire Waster
7,086 Posts
Sport Comps suck. I am on my 3rd mechanical water temp gauge and now this one is sticking too! It stays at 100 degrees then jumps to 150.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
My gauges are located on my A pillar. I used electric gauges for ease of plumbing. Trying to run the mechanical leads would have been a bit tricky.

·
Drag Week Survivor
14,413 Posts
I like having a mechanical oil pressure gauge with a -4 braided line. All the other gauges I like full sweep electric, they can be pricey but they pay for themselves by not having to deal with the bulky temp tubes.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I have mechanical in my wagon with #4 braided. I used to believe that using Mechanical is more presice than Electrical but not so sure now.

Tim

1 - 20 of 21 Posts