Yellow Bullet Forums banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Absofuckinglutely Love my B&M Pro Ratchet shifter. Wether you shift it by hand or with the electric
287.jpg
shift solenoid I have never missed a gear, ever. Had it for years. Know many that have missed gears with those gate shifters though.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I would really like to hear your reasoning behind your opinion.
No question about it, GATE! Ratchet shifters belong in the GARBAGE! Especially that B&M SHIT!

I have Winters shifters in both of my cars, 3rd Gen F Bodies. Will never, ever use anything else, EVER!

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
I've had B&M Pro stick and Pro Ratchet in my car with a T350. The Pro Stick with a forward pattern can allow you to go into neutral if you relax the slightest bit on the lever while your hand is on the shifter. It worked just fine with the electric Shifnoid. The Pro Stick worked great hand shifting with the reverse pattern, no chance of screwing up. It was a little touchy with a Shifnoid as it would go 1st to 3rd at times. The Pro Ratchet worked perfectly both directions shifting manually. It also worked perfect with the Shifnoid but can only be used with reverse pattern and requires some extra wiring for the NS switch to prevent it from dropping into 1st if you revved it high enough in neutral.
I've driven cars with cheaper B&M ratchets and they absolutely suck. If you've got the money the Turbo Action Cheetah shifter is top shelf. But on the Turbo action the only automatic shift control available is air.
All of these shifters can be used on 3 spd or 2 spd's and can all be converted from forward to revers pattern.

·
EFI/N2O JUNKIE
16,523 Posts
I would really like to hear your reasoning behind your opinion.
I have had cars with the B&M Mega Shifter. The indicator to let you know what gear you are in rarely worked correctly. I don't know how many times I would have to put it back in neutral and start all over again to know what gear I was in. Could not stand the reverse lockout lever. Each car that came with one was quickly converted to a Winters Shifter.

Very simple to look at the gate and know what gear you are in, no guessing!

I will stick with my Winters stuff, if people like the B&M Mega Shitter, good for them, their money, their choice.

·
EFI/N2O JUNKIE
16,523 Posts
I've had B&M Pro stick and Pro Ratchet in my car with a T350. The Pro Stick with a forward pattern can allow you to go into neutral if you relax the slightest bit on the lever while your hand is on the shifter. It worked just fine with the electric Shifnoid. The Pro Stick worked great hand shifting with the reverse pattern, no chance of screwing up. It was a little touchy with a Shifnoid as it would go 1st to 3rd at times. The Pro Ratchet worked perfectly both directions shifting manually. It also worked perfect with the Shifnoid but can only be used with reverse pattern and requires some extra wiring for the NS switch to prevent it from dropping into 1st if you revved it high enough in neutral.
I've driven cars with cheaper B&M ratchets and they absolutely suck. If you've got the money the Turbo Action Cheetah shifter is top shelf. But on the Turbo action the only automatic shift control available is air.
All of these shifters can be used on 3 spd or 2 spd's and can all be converted from forward to revers pattern.
Watch-out, seems like people think I'm an asshole for speaking poorly of those awesome B&M Mega Shitters.
Like I said above, never used their Pro Ratchet so if they actually designed that one correctly then good for them. Their Mega Shifter sucks..............

I have installed Cheetah shifters for people, they are very similar to the Winters stuff.

If I remember correctly, the Winters shifter came from over the road trucks. They used them for the PTO I believe. A barebones shifter, awesome Morse cable, easy to change gates to use with just about any transmission. I am still using the same one since 1990.

·
Registered
23,283 Posts
I have had cars with the B&M Mega Shifter. The indicator to let you know what gear you are in rarely worked correctly. I don't know how many times I would have to put it back in neutral and start all over again to know what gear I was in. Could not stand the reverse lockout lever. Each car that came with one was quickly converted to a Winters Shifter.

Very simple to look at the gate and know what gear you are in, no guessing!

I will stick with my Winters stuff, if people like the B&M Mega Shitter, good for them, their money, their choice.
My mega shifter has micro switches in it that lights a gear indicator .

And with my transbrake , goes into reverse without pressing buttons , and you only need one hand to ratchet to reverse .

Plus with a reverse valve body , you can go from park to 1st or reverse easily and dont have to ratchet through the gears to get to first .

Im talking a daily driver though . As much as I drive it , it would drive me crazy to have to go though 3rd and 2nd just to get to 1st . Especially in parking lots when going from park to reverse and 1st A LOT .

My dash ..... I never look at the shifter to see what gear its in . ;)

The mega shifter makes it easy to add micro switches .

20200209_192219.jpg

·
Registered
6,487 Posts
Hated my Cheetah shifter, I'd pull from 1st to 3rd and watch the other guy drive away.
Love my pro ratchet, I hooked up to a Shfnoid over the winter.

·
Registered
993 Posts
How did you do this? I would seriously have to work to make this happen with my Cheetah? I would have to pull straight down then pull to the left to do this in one motion, if you look at the gates on it. Just a question. We all have preferences.
Hated my Cheetah shifter, I'd pull from 1st to 3rd and watch the other guy drive away.
Love my pro ratchet, I hooked up to a Shfnoid over the winter. View attachment 60639
?

·
T/S 368E
26,782 Posts
Guess I'm the oddball. I have tried gate shifters, every buddy has them. I and all of them have missed shifts. Switched to a b&m stealth pro ratchet. i have never missed a gear since. Hell the wife drives it now all the time and hasnt't missed. You cannot miss. You just pull it for every gear. I am sure they both work great. It is just a preference thing.

Exactly, I love mine. The only issue I ever had in 30 plus years was switching from pull to push.

·
Drag Week Survivor
14,369 Posts
How did you do this? I would seriously have to work to make this happen with my Cheetah? I would have to pul straight down then pull to the right to do this in one motion, if you look at the gates on it. Just a question. We all have preferences.

?
It happens, we have a cheetah shifter in my wife's car. I've gone 1-3 in it, she has too. We've adopted a different technique to helps stop it from happening but with a pro Ratchet or a PPP or M&M it really can't happen. I'd buy a Pro Ratchet before putting a free Cheetah in my car.

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
Move a gate shifter with the palm of your hand, dont grab the fkn thing like you are going to set of dynamite......28 years and 30K street miles with a Turbo Action Cheater, no missed gears
With a forward pattern pro stick or quarter stick you have to squeeze the trigger for 2-3 shift. Let off too soon and you're in neutral. Doesn't a Megashifter work about like a a pro ratchet? Just different getting out of ratchet mode?

·
Registered
12,670 Posts
Forward pattern? I thought that stuff was for cars and coffee LOL
That sounds like a complicated mess for a shifter, risk of hitting neutral?
There is no ratchet action with a T/A(Cheater) shifter or pulling levers to shift into 3rd just a fingertip to shift it
I dare say though if its in a 7/8 sec car it may be a different deal.
This was in a 10.00 car.

·
FHRITP
49,669 Posts
I've had a Quick Silver ratchet in my street car for almost 40 years. I've always liked it for 3sp. What ever you do don't get a Quarter Stick or Pro Stick as I think it's tooo easy to let off the lever and do the same thing you're doing now.
I have a pro stick(4 speed trans)no way I cant skip 2 unless I squeeze trigger. They both work if you know how the shifter works

21 - 40 of 53 Posts