Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For a TH350 in a '93 Camaro bracket car. Which do you prefer and why?

EDIT: This probably should've been posted in the transmission section...

·
EFI/N2O JUNKIE
16,465 Posts
No question about it, GATE! Ratchet shifters belong in the GARBAGE! Especially that B&M SHIT!

I have Winters shifters in both of my cars, 3rd Gen F Bodies. Will never, ever use anything else, EVER!

·
Registered
419 Posts
Guess I'm the oddball. I have tried gate shifters, every buddy has them. I and all of them have missed shifts. Switched to a b&m stealth pro ratchet. i have never missed a gear since. Hell the wife drives it now all the time and hasnt't missed. You cannot miss. You just pull it for every gear. I am sure they both work great. It is just a preference thing.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No question about it, GATE! Ratchet shifters belong in the GARBAGE! Especially that B&M SHIT!

I have Winters shifters in both of my cars, 3rd Gen F Bodies. Will never, ever use anything else, EVER!
I'm looking at these right now. It seems a basic forward pattern one for a TH350 is $199 at Summit. The main reason I'm looking to replace my stock shifter is because I occasionally skip 2nd and go straight to 3rd on accident. Looks like that would provide the stop in 2nd that I need and for a good price.

Or go full retard!

Maybe one day.

Guess I'm the oddball. I have tried gate shifters, every buddy has them. I and all of them have missed shifts. Switched to a b&m stealth pro ratchet. i have never missed a gear since. Hell the wife drives it now all the time and hasnt't missed. You cannot miss. You just pull it for every gear. I am sure they both work great. It is just a preference thing.
...and this is why I've been back and forth on this for a week now. It seems to come down to preference. I've only used the stock shifter.

·
Drag Week Survivor
14,352 Posts

I absolutely love my B&M Pro Ratchet for the last 20 years. It has worked pefect and has been in 3 different cars.

It's great when I rotate between my regular reverse pattern th400 and my clean neutral Th400, nothing to change except print a different label for the shifter cover.

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
I've had a Quick Silver ratchet in my street car for almost 40 years. I've always liked it for 3sp. What ever you do don't get a Quarter Stick or Pro Stick as I think it's tooo easy to let off the lever and do the same thing you're doing now.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I love my Pro Ratchet... never missed a shift or had a problem. A ratchet shifter might be a pain in the ass on a street car with a manual valve body... but for racing it's great.

Jeff

·
Registered
985 Posts
I use a Cheetah Gated. Easy to know that I am doing my burnout in 2nd gear, then throw it into high. I have a TH350 too. I have always liked the ratchet style concept in a street car but have never used one beyond my 79 TA that had a "factory" style ratchet shifter. I have NEVER missed a shift with my Cheetah. Easiest to use IMO and you always know exactly what gear you are in.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I love my Pro Ratchet. It's 20 years old and still doing the job (reverse pattern 3 speed)
I had the old Quiksilver back in the 80's - 90's
For a 3 speed, I agree a B&M Pro Ratchet is a good go to. We had one in the car I grew up driving and never a problem. Always a positive shift with no misses!

·
EFI/N2O JUNKIE
16,465 Posts
Seems like a lot of people like the B&M Pro Ratchet Shifter. I never saw one, just their age-old junk-ass-piece-of-shit Mega Shitter!

So, if they are different, I apologize, if they are the same, then you guys are fucking nuts to chose that piece of shit over a Winters Shifter!

My Winters shifter has been in my car since 1990. I don't know how many different gate plates I have had in it between 2 and 3 speed transmission swaps and simply wearing them out. Fucker will stay in there till the day I die though! :)

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
never miss a shift with a ratchet/easy to miss a shift with a gate.....no doubt you can train yourself to move between gates

·
Registered
128 Posts
I was the dumbass that kept grabbing too much shifter and would shift from 1st to 3rd, with a Quarter Stick. Screw it, I put a Shiftnoid on that monster and let the gates take care of my screw ups. I have had Pro Ratchet shifters on 2 other cars and loved them.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts