Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Say your next inline at the local gas station and the person in front of you get regular (87 octane) and you pull up with a 5 gallon can and get 5 gallons of super (93 octane) the pump uses only 1 hose to separate the 3 grades of gas (87, 89, 93 octanes).
My ? is, of the 5 gallons of 93 your buying what are you really getting since the guy before you got 87. do the pumps switch at the pump and you only get whats in the hose or are they switched some where else and your paying for 93 and getting 87 ...

·
Registered
12,386 Posts
I remember someone writing into a car mag and asking the same question a few years ago..

They said the 87 was just what was in the hose and had no affect on a normal fill up.

·
Registered
60 Posts
It depends on the style of pump. Most pumps contain an anti-siphoning device which is located at the swivel just below the pump lever valve handle. This is to prevent you from shutting off the pump at the turn on switch, opening the valve handle and draining the hose in to your tank. Pressure from the running pump will overcome the one way valve and allow fuel to flow.

So, in reality, your getting a hose full of 87, BEFORE, you get your 93. The next customer will get your hose full of 93. Fuel amounts are recorded from the actual pump head which is about 3 feet before the hose start. That measures out to be about 3 quarts. Are you getting plucked? Hang around the multigrade pumps and see. Or use individual grade pumps.

·
Mstr Of Useless Knowledge
3,446 Posts
I just want my change back when I buy a 1 gallon of gas. I get screwed out of 1/10th of a cent everytime I get a gallon....:rolleyes:..:confused:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts