Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the pros and cons of gas ported pistons in a heavy nitrous application? I just got my diamond pistons in today and they are gas ported. Are any of you fast nitrous guys using gas ported pistons when spraying 400 or more?

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
They are a good thing, as long as they are lateral gas ports!

·
Who Farted...?!?!
3,485 Posts
What are the pros and cons of gas ported pistons in a heavy nitrous application? I just got my diamond pistons in today and they are gas ported. Are any of you fast nitrous guys using gas ported pistons when spraying 400 or more?
x2......????

·
Registered
626 Posts
What are lateral gas ports?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
How can I determine if they are lateral or vertical?

·
Registered
675 Posts
They help pressurize the ring against the cylinder wall, when the piston goes to rocking with a bad tune-up & keeps the ring end gap from butting as easy & quick.

·
Who Farted...?!?!
3,485 Posts
why lateral....i have heard that they not only send pressure to the rings...but tons of heat....which help in burning up the pistons... heard lateral is good for n/a...but not nitrous...have read that for nitrous...vertical is killer.....

i could be wrong as i dont know from experience as this is just what i have read while doing searches on here....our promod motor was built by morrison...i just tuned it and maintained it haha....

·
Who Farted...?!?!
3,485 Posts
"FYI, I am told that there isn't an engine that leaves Billy Gliddens shop, that isn't gas ported both laterally, and vertically."

Chris Uratchko

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Have you had any problems with the gas ports?

·
Who Farted...?!?!
3,485 Posts
also interested in hearing more experience on this....?!

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Mine have horizontal ports. Custom JE purpose built. Will be hitting it w/two stages of 350/250. JE says they'll hold 800 "if the tune up is right". We're about ready to find out in the next couple weeks.

Car does see street time... 12.3:1 on pump gas NA. Haven't had any issues yet.

·
Registered
421 Posts
"FYI, I am told that there isn't an engine that leaves Billy Gliddens shop, that isn't gas ported both laterally, and vertically."

Chris Uratchko

id be worried that to much material is taken away with both vert and lat gas ports...
but if thats what he does it obviously works

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all the info guys. I appreciate it. I'm gonna call diamond first thing in the morning, and get there take on it, since they built em for me, and i knew nothing them being gas ported. Thanks again.

·
RED ROCKET
8,635 Posts
Thanks for all the info guys. I appreciate it. I'm gonna call diamond first thing in the morning, and get there take on it, since they built em for me, and i knew nothing them being gas ported. Thanks again.

pm 388monte on here..he works for diamond.....my pistons are from them as well

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
OK. Thanks.

·
www.PelechBrosRacing.com
4,000 Posts
My heavy-nitrous-use pistons are vertically gas-ported and produced by Diamond. I've never had any gas-port related problems.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts