Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to get rid of my old barrel stove and go with gas. Looking for recommendations on make / model.

Also, fireplace is on a slab so it might make for an easier install if I run the gas line out of basement underground and then back under slab right near fireplace. I'll use black iron in the basement but what to bury for the 20' outside run?

·
Registered
21,106 Posts
This shit has ALL changed since "I got out." Many places there is no possible way for you, the homeowner to do your own gas piping.

In this area "used to be" that COATED black iron (plastic coated) and hand wrapped (taped) joints were acceptable for burial. Now, the smaller outfits measure, goes to the supplier, and buys a shop made length of approved burial plastic, or the larger shops have their own makeup tools.

Be careful "gas log" A bare "gas log" was never intended to be a HEATING appliance. It is merely for decoration.

The RIGHT way would be to install an insert type thing which ARE designed for heating. These have blowers, and a rudimentary "heat exhanger" (think heatalator) to provide some actual heat.

Also, "gas logs" must have the damper blocked open. This means, if you are using INDOOR air for combustion, you have a constant heat loss from the house, up the chimney.

The only way to go with these is an engineered insert unit with OUTDOOR air for combustion (burner draft air) built into the unit.

·
Registered
4,298 Posts
you have a very open ended question that needs more information for a good answer. What are you looking for a new fireplace to replace an older wood stove? There are many options a fireplace, a gas stove. If you have a fireplace already then an insert or gas logs are possible also. Then comes the all important question vented or vent free. So more info will be needed. The best thing is talk to your local dealer first. They will have units on display and they willl know what codes your local area go by.
To qualify myself I have been in the hearth industry for 30 years and presently work for one of the major companies in the technical service department.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok - should have put in more info.

Currently I have a barrel stove sitting on the hearth of a large fireplace. I want ditch the barrel stove and get a top quality insert. The fireplace/chimney is is on an outside wall so I have access to the back side.

On of the areas i was not clear on is the pros/cons of outside vs inside air. Is that the same as vented?

·
Registered
51,357 Posts
Getting ready to get rid of my old barrel stove and go with gas. Looking for recommendations on make / model.

Also, fireplace is on a slab so it might make for an easier install if I run the gas line out of basement underground and then back under slab right near fireplace. I'll use black iron in the basement but what to bury for the 20' outside run?
Not to disrupt the thread but....what kind of barrel stove?...like and actual barrel stove or an old Oak type parlor stove?.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not to disrupt the thread but....what kind of barrel stove?...like and actual barrel stove or an old Oak type parlor stove?.

Metal 30 gallon drum. Sideways, on 6" legs with a round door on one end and stack at the other end. They are kits you buy to convert a barrell you supply - you can do 30 gal 55 gal and double 55.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Crazy about my remote controlled un vented gas logs

Looks like a real fire with no splitting and hauling

·
Registered
21,106 Posts
top quality insert. The fireplace/chimney is is on an outside wall so I have access to the back side.

On of the areas i was not clear on is the pros/cons of outside vs inside air. Is that the same as vented?
An insert type thing is what you want

Usually they will say unvented or ventless.

"Outside air" is usually referring to draft air, or "air for combustion" So far as I'm concerned there is only one correct answer, and that is "outside air" for combustion / draft and VENTED The vent in a gas appliance refers to the "chimney" whatever that consists of.

Look into ventless gas, that way you are not wasting any energy.
Sorry I disagree. UNvented appiances essentially put YOU inside the chimney. These are not legal in some jurisdictions. The smaller the room, the tighter the house, the bigger the problem they are

And........there can be complications. "Let's say" you or your family has some hobby. "Used to be photography." Putting up hair. Some laundry chemicals. Assembling model cars / planes. Lots of chemicals

A ventless heater "runs" this chemical laden air through the fire and makes "whatever it is" more toxic, then vents it back in the room

PLEASE to yourself a favor and DO NOT get an unvented heater. There is no reason to, since you have a chimney.

·
Registered
15,123 Posts
The insert you want is a pellet fire place insert.They are different than a normal pellet stove.99% efficient where a 40 pound bag could last you alittle over a day and have electronic controls that can be hooked up to a programmable thermostat.Totally safe with air injected from the outside and exhaust out the chimney.They are so efficient the with a weeks burn,you only get back a 1/4 cup of ash.

This is a very good customer service company to work with on pellet stoves.

http://www.englandsstoveworks.com/

·
Registered
15,123 Posts
BTW-ventfree is not designed for primary heat source.Supplementary heat source only.It needs to cycle on and off to be somewhat safe.Carbon dioxide detectors must be in place.Vented gas stoves are expensive to run.

·
Registered
15,123 Posts
Uh..........the OP is talking about natural gas here.......................
You'll catch on.Often the question asked is more involve than you first thought.Input from ever angle is the solution.......;)

·
Registered
15,123 Posts
Your not taking into account what I posted about vent-free.

Most furnaces,boilers,etc are in the upper 90's rating.So your going to install a vented insert that is tons less than you already own and watch the dollars go out the chimney??. That is just plain dumb.

·
Registered
15,123 Posts
Thank god.Someone does understand what I posted.Spend more for the heater and less for the fuel or less for the heater and more for the fuel.Formula that never fails.

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
This shit has ALL changed since "I got out." Many places there is no possible way for you, the homeowner to do your own gas piping.

In this area "used to be" that COATED black iron (plastic coated) and hand wrapped (taped) joints were acceptable for burial. Now, the smaller outfits measure, goes to the supplier, and buys a shop made length of approved burial plastic, or the larger shops have their own makeup tools.

Be careful "gas log" A bare "gas log" was never intended to be a HEATING appliance. It is merely for decoration.

The RIGHT way would be to install an insert type thing which ARE designed for heating. These have blowers, and a rudimentary "heat exhanger" (think heatalator) to provide some actual heat.

Also, "gas logs" must have the damper blocked open. This means, if you are using INDOOR air for combustion, you have a constant heat loss from the house, up the chimney.

The only way to go with these is an engineered insert unit with OUTDOOR air for combustion (burner draft air) built into the unit.
The statements above are the best advice I have seen, and I would advise you to take note.

Too add to above, trying to heat a home with gas logs will cost you a small fortune. They are "decorative heat at best."

One last thing, what ever you decide, if you go propane....STAY VERY FARE AWAY from Amerigas.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts