Yellow Bullet Forums banner

Garrett vs. Treadstone intercooler cores for A/A street setup?

34K views 40 replies 22 participants last post by  65BEAVER 
#1 · (Edited)
Has anyone done any testing on the Treadstone cores vs a Garrett or Spearco? Looking to get rid of the eBay intercooler and move into something a little more efficient for my single 84MM ET-R setup. Currently running a 24x12x4" coore, I have about another .5" of thickness to work with, and plenty of room to go verticaly and horizontally.

What I was looking at from Treadstone:
http://www.treadstoneperformance.com/product.phtml?p=69394&cat_key=63&prodname=TR1245-28+1200hp
http://www.treadstoneperformance.co...63&prodname=TRV259+Series+Intercooler++1300HP

#6 · (Edited)
I don't really agree with that. Guess it depends how bad your china cooler is. This is the EMUSA 32x12x4 IC.

I've had them side by side and there was a big difference with mine at least.

China

Treadstone

This is an image from their website. Mine the same, but didn't get a pic. You can see the fin density is greater in the treadstone anyway.

Seems to have made a big difference on my car. Haven't been back to the track yet, and I changed from an LS1 to an LS6 intake at the same time so I won't have a good comparison.

#11 · (Edited)
I'm not saying treadstone stuff ranks with garrett/bell cores. But it is not the same as CXracing. (that I've seen anyway)

The CX have shown a much higher pressure drop than the TS units. They also have a less dense core and don't have staggered internal fins.

Heres is the popular 31x12x4 CXracing core many use. It's nothing like the TS core.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CXRacing-UN...Parts_Accessories&hash=item4d15f34eb0&vxp=mtr

Better shot of the TS core...

#9 ·
Heres a comparison from a treadstone core to a Garrett core.

Got results from the Garrett swap. Went from a Treadstone 25x9x3.5 to a Garrett 24.25x10x4.5. I used two garrett cores welded together part number 703521-6003.

Treadstone
17psi it gained 50* on a pull to 150mph
24psi it gained 80*

Garrett
18psi it gained 18*
26psi it gained 27*
31psi it gained 30*

#18 ·
I run a treadstone and it has been pretty good. I never log IAT but car does pick up huge power when ambient air is cooler which leads me to believe it could be holding me back. I think treadstone is still the best of the cheap. Forcefed I bet you still pick up that last core looks like the worst of the worst lol

#19 ·
I ran the Treadstone TRV25 in my chevelle, street use only, and my IAT's never went over 95 degrees-normal street use wont be like making a blast down the 1/4, but your not seeing the boost either as long-well, maybe not, lol
Nobody can dispute Stock48's results with the Treadstone, lol, esp. if they watched Drag Week

#22 ·
I run a cheap ebay type core on my car, picks up around 80 degrees. So they can be made to work. As zbrown said though, 0 pressure drop, but no cooling. I've run garrett cores on my other cars and I've never found anything that even comes close. Someday I'll get one on this car. I have a compound turbo car in my garage with a treadstone IC on it. It looks nice. I'm not expecting much for cooling, but we'll see how it does.

#23 ·
After a light cruise (no heat sink) I made a full 1/4 pull at 15lbs. Logged 20ish degrees over ambient towards the end of the pass. "1200hp" TR1245-28. My water/meth doesn't turn on till 20lbs, so that should be semi-accurate. Hope to have some 25 pound passes recorded Saturday.

#25 ·
Who typically has the best prices on Garrett I/C cores ??

#27 ·
Picked up 4.5ish mph at the same boost levels (18lbs). Not the best comparison since I changed from an ls1 to ls6 intake at the same time. Unsure how much better/worse the DA was.

IAT dropped to 113 around half track, 118* at the end of the run. 120* at the start of the run (heat soaked sitting in staging lanes) Ambient temps around 78*. No meth/alky inj active.

#40 ·
The rating on said core is the amount of flow it can effectively cool. You need to convert flow to power to see what kind of power it can effectively cool. Anything over the cfm cooling capacity aka hp, you will need additional cooling to make additional power or your just going to be blowing hot air.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.