Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone done any testing on the Treadstone cores vs a Garrett or Spearco? Looking to get rid of the eBay intercooler and move into something a little more efficient for my single 84MM ET-R setup. Currently running a 24x12x4" coore, I have about another .5" of thickness to work with, and plenty of room to go verticaly and horizontally.

What I was looking at from Treadstone:
http://www.treadstoneperformance.com/product.phtml?p=69394&cat_key=63&prodname=TR1245-28+1200hp
http://www.treadstoneperformance.co...63&prodname=TRV259+Series+Intercooler++1300HP

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
The treadstoned cores are identical to the cxracing eBay cores. The tubulator density is non existent . Nothing like a garrett

·
Registered
451 Posts
Garrett cores are VERY efficient. That core is rated at 950hp.....and Garrett underrates their cores. You could prolly tack on another 200hp on top of that real easy

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
The treadstoned cores are identical to the cxracing eBay cores. The tubulator density is non existent . Nothing like a garrett
I don't really agree with that. Guess it depends how bad your china cooler is. This is the EMUSA 32x12x4 IC.

I've had them side by side and there was a big difference with mine at least.

China

Treadstone

This is an image from their website. Mine the same, but didn't get a pic. You can see the fin density is greater in the treadstone anyway.

Seems to have made a big difference on my car. Haven't been back to the track yet, and I changed from an LS1 to an LS6 intake at the same time so I won't have a good comparison.

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
The tube core you picture is absolute junk.

I am talking the CX racing cores vs treadstone. They are nothing like a garrett

·
Registered
357 Posts
Heres a comparison from a treadstone core to a Garrett core.

Got results from the Garrett swap. Went from a Treadstone 25x9x3.5 to a Garrett 24.25x10x4.5. I used two garrett cores welded together part number 703521-6003.

Treadstone
17psi it gained 50* on a pull to 150mph
24psi it gained 80*

Garrett
18psi it gained 18*
26psi it gained 27*
31psi it gained 30*

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
As I said in my first post... CX racing....

The CX/treastone don't have shit for pressure drop but suck ass thermally
I'm not saying treadstone stuff ranks with garrett/bell cores. But it is not the same as CXracing. (that I've seen anyway)

The CX have shown a much higher pressure drop than the TS units. They also have a less dense core and don't have staggered internal fins.

Heres is the popular 31x12x4 CXracing core many use. It's nothing like the TS core.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CXRacing-UN...Parts_Accessories&hash=item4d15f34eb0&vxp=mtr

Better shot of the TS core...

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Bs I've had the CX and treadstone side by side. Get your caliper out.

They are virtually the same. The treadstone has nicer end tanks that's it

·
Registered
1,959 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Here is a pic of a Bell core vs a Garrett core. The Bell core cant even keep up with a Garrett of equal size. IMO nothing compares to a Garrett core.

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Truth. The pictures don't even do justice for the garrett tubulators

I'd show actual measurements of the CX vs the treadstone. But I sold the overpriced china cooler (ts)

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I run a treadstone and it has been pretty good. I never log IAT but car does pick up huge power when ambient air is cooler which leads me to believe it could be holding me back. I think treadstone is still the best of the cheap. Forcefed I bet you still pick up that last core looks like the worst of the worst lol

·
Registered
20,090 Posts
I ran the Treadstone TRV25 in my chevelle, street use only, and my IAT's never went over 95 degrees-normal street use wont be like making a blast down the 1/4, but your not seeing the boost either as long-well, maybe not, lol
Nobody can dispute Stock48's results with the Treadstone, lol, esp. if they watched Drag Week

·
Registered
236 Posts
We went 7.80 @ 182 at 3550 lbs with a pair of 67mm pte's thru a treadstone core and never got more than 25* above ambient.... Not saying the treadstone cores are the best but they are far from the worst..

1 - 20 of 41 Posts