Yellow Bullet Forums banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
Not obvious at local tracks. No enforcement there. I'm glad you explained it. I will add a cross at my exit. It has made me very nervous frankly. My turnouts are right out in the open, and can be aimed right at people at the starting line. I don't want to get anyone hurt.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Me too......Garrett is dumping them on me. I ordered a pile though. I have 30 Super Cores on the Shelf and 40 Turbine housings. 88's, 94, 98's, 102's, and 106's all in stock.
We didn’t buy quite that many of the big chargers. We do way more Borgs than Garrett. Although I’m pretty sure you buy quite a few turbos from us as well.

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
If it's not a housing designed to contain the event the bolts are basically worthless. The Garrett SS housings are nearly 3/8" thick. The ones on my GT55 turbos only weigh 2LBS less than the rest of the super-core. Housings are 31LBS and turbo is 33LBS. The bolts are to just keep the big pieces in so someone is only maimed and not killed on the spot, LOL

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
If it's not a housing designed to contain the event the bolts are basically worthless. The Garrett SS housings are nearly 3/8" thick. The ones on my GT55 turbos only weigh 2LBS less than the rest of the super-core. Housings are 31LBS and turbo is 33LBS. The bolts are to just keep the big pieces in so someone is only maimed and not killed on the spot, LOL
Mine are out in the open and the exhaust super short. Even slowing down a piece would lessen the injury. I suppose a ballistic turbo blanket would be another step.

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
Mine are out in the open and the exhaust super short. Even slowing down a piece would lessen the injury. I suppose a ballistic turbo blanket would be another step.
I'd say a lateral explosion through the housing maybe less of a concern. But seeing as many turbo exhausts on the racers are pointed basically into the air at any crowds...the obstruction on the discharge makes sense to prevent any red hot projectiles getting launched into the crowds

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Looking at the size of the turbine housing.... What kind of motor will it take to spool one of those things up ??

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
The turbine is not as large as a G-Trim which is 121mm if I remember correctly. The new wheel is 118mm and it and the housing is a different shape than the GT55 wheels and also has one less blade.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I'd say a lateral explosion through the housing maybe less of a concern. But seeing as many turbo exhausts on the racers are pointed basically into the air at any crowds...the obstruction on the discharge makes sense to prevent any red hot projectiles getting launched into the crowds

They are going to do really well on single applications. 400-450 inch, even Big Blocks. I know X275 is looking at them and waiting for a particular racer to test with one. I am pretty sure it will get hit with weight. The RVW crowd is another group......shut the gate and let it eat.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I apologize if my message seemed contradicting. I assumed you were after the turbine gain over the 55s current setup is why I emphasized on that. If you don’t have a line on them already or have a hard time getting them due to the pandemic, let me know. I may be able to help out. I’ve got three of the New G57s on the shelf. And stock two of each size GTX5533s and GTX5544s plus turbine housings of each size.
thanks for the offer, im currently sponsored by garrett, and just have to wait and see if we can arrange an upgrade from our current turbos, but the pandemic is going to stop us racing for at least 6 months so probably wont happen this year :(

·
Registered
773 Posts
thanks for the offer, im currently sponsored by garrett, and just have to wait and see if we can arrange an upgrade from our current turbos, but the pandemic is going to stop us racing for at least 6 months so probably wont happen this year :(
How many psi have you run your GEN2 98's at so far?

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I have heard from trusted sources that the Gen 2 Garretts are capable of at least 80psi on an appropriately sized engine. Mark Micke won Sweet 16 a couple years ago running 74psi with Gen 2 Garretts on a billet BBC. That's the race he went 221mph which I think still stands as the fastest 1/8th mile speed of any radial car.

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)
A week later the same engine did this and destroyed itself, the converter and the transmission when the crank broke during qualifying at Darlington.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I pretty sure when the racing starts up again.....Micke and Carter will have a set of G57's on the car for testing 😃

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I have heard from trusted sources that the Gen 2 Garretts are capable of at least 80psi on an appropriately sized engine. Mark Micke won Sweet 16 a couple years ago running 74psi with Gen 2 Garretts on a billet BBC. That's the race he went 221mph which I think still stands as the fastest 1/8th mile speed of any radial car.
I have zero doubt they will make 80+... we are still 1:1 with dome pressure vs boost pressure...

21 - 40 of 42 Posts