Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to decide so I can put my front bumper back on. Both seem to work good and cool the air very well. Hoping for high 8s with combo. Sbf 408 s480 c4 327s. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No starting from scratch. I have looked into the good garret cores and the frozen boost air to water coolers. Both look good

·
Registered
721 Posts
Went 8.34 @ 164 with a 5.4 mod motor and a precision 76/75 with 3" piping to a ebay air to air intercooler. They seem to work pretty good

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
You can get the chiseled 1300hp air/air core it will stay pretty close to ambient in a high 8 second car. No pump no water not much to go wrong.

Even the ebay would meat your goals, but the chiseled will beat it by about 75 degrees.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Went 8.34 @ 164 with a 5.4 mod motor and a precision 76/75 with 3" piping to a ebay air to air intercooler. They seem to work pretty good

I hate when people say this with no data to back it up. Like pressure drop and temp drop. Ive gone 8.6 with no intercooler so that works pretty good too.

Not saying you dont have the data but if you do please share. But i also ran 2 different ebay intercoolers and had huge pressure drops 15psi.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
I hate when people say this with no data to back it up. Like pressure drop and temp drop. Ive gone 8.6 with no intercooler so that works pretty good too.

Not saying you dont have the data but if you do please share. But i also ran 2 different ebay intercoolers and had huge pressure drops 15psi.
Speaking of a lack of data... ;)

What Ebay coolers did you run? Setup run down? Pressure drop at "X" boost level?

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow those ebays seem to work good. Treadstone also looks good to for the price. How much more would the treadstone cool the air compared to the ebay models?

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Wow those ebays seem to work good. Treadstone also looks good to for the price. How much more would the treadstone cool the air compared to the ebay models?
Not so much the amount they cool, but the total drop of pressure across the core. My Ebay junk did good job keeping the air cool, but others report a 5-8+psi drop across the IC that I'm using. Meaning the turbo has to work much harder and make 5-8 additional pounds of boost over what your boost gauge is telling you.

From what I've seen, the treadstone stuff doesn't really cool the air much better. It just does it with less pressure drop.

·
Registered
24,872 Posts
I wouldn't mess with an A2W unit on a street care personally.

other than installation being slightly more difficult , W2A works better than A2A on a street car . At least it does on a street truck . :)

most street applications are not running much more than 15psi and warm water will pull more heat out than an A2A thats been heat soaked . Not to mention you could be making 15psi on the street and still not have more than 40mph worth of air going through the core .

It would have to be one big ass A2A to do what a quality 6 x 6 x 12 W2A core will do even with no ice .

Just run the pump in boost only all and you wont need a heat exchanger .

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
other than installation being slightly more difficult , W2A works better than A2A on a street car . At least it does on a street truck . :)

most street applications are not running much more than 15psi and warm water will pull more heat out than an A2A thats been heat soaked . Not to mention you could be making 15psi on the street and still not have more than 40mph worth of air going through the core .

It would have to be one big ass A2A to do what a quality 6 x 6 x 12 W2A core will do even with no ice .

Just run the pump in boost only all and you wont need a heat exchanger .
Most don't make a billion ft lbs of torque like you do either! ;) I was thinking weight would be a big factor. How large of a water tank do you run? Whats the total added weight of the tank alone?

I was surprised how heavy my treadstone unit was if I'm being honest. It was 33lbs!

·
Registered
24,872 Posts
Yea , I guess it is heavier . lol..... I use a 5 gal cell , but you would also have to include the weight of the water in 1" lines from front to back , and the water in the core .

Probably close to 60lbs in water alone in my setup .

My intercooler alone isnt that heavy ...... maybe 20lbs tops . Thats just a guess though .

·
Registered
721 Posts

not sure presure drop..as far as temps go i always see about 50 degrees above ambient temp at the end of the run..all i know is the combo seems to work very well for what it is

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Does it make any difference that the combo is blow thru carb? I heard that may help cool the air better over efi?? I have been looking at the froze boost a/w and the seem legit but not many people are using them yet.

·
Registered
57 Posts
FWIW, i run a 4" core ebay IC, 2.5" dual inlets and 3" single outlet. i run a 21psi spring in my wastegates and i see just over 20psi at the motor. the only data logs on intake temp was back to back runs in 104* weather:-damnit

1 - 20 of 55 Posts