Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
When I make shrimp scampi I start with 1Tbs olive oil, 4 Tbs butter, clove garlic chopped very fine, and salt and pepper to taste. The shrimp go in cooked hot and fast and don't worry about draining the shrimp real well. The trick is not to cook in pan too long and turn them, or they get tough. About to the end of cook time squeeze 1/2 lemon and sprinkle with parsley chopped fine. Pull from fire and set for a min. Goes well with wild rice or linguine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I make shrimp scampi I start with 1Tbs olive oil, 4 Tbs butter, clove garlic chopped very fine, and salt and pepper to taste. The shrimp go in cooked hot and fast and don't worry about draining the shrimp real well. The trick is not to cook in pan too long and turn them, or they get tough. About to the end of cook time squeeze 1/2 lemon and sprinkle with parsley chopped fine. Pull from fire and set for a min. Goes well with wild rice or linguine.
Going to give it a run this weekend over linguine. Will post with my results.

·
I've Got The Cure
2,629 Posts
Next time you do this...Try smacking it with some Dry White Wine..1/2 cup or so let it simmer off...
I think you will like it.
This combo you have here I use also with Big Portabella Mushrooms or Asparagus tips...but I add the Dry White Wine, sometimes a chopped up Chives, Chili or Cayenne pepper in it also not for heat as much for taste.
Oh also maybe a nip of Half/Half cream....with the shimp or seafood only.

:smt023

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
If I make Alfredo sauce, I start with a rue. Anyone that makes clam chowder to jambalaya even good gravy needs to know how to make a good rue.They all start with flour and fat of some kind in equal parts and cooked on low heat. This should not be dry. if it is add some butter. Never rush your rue. For Alfredo use butter and all purpose flour. 4 Tbs each. Melt butter whisk in flour till mixed. then 3 or 4 cloves garlic shaved fine and 1/4 onion chopped fine. cook this on low heat till it gets a light straw color. (The oil flour rue for jambalaya will cook much longer till it gets dark brown, but don't turn the heat up. drink a beer or something.) When you get the light straw color salt and white pepper to taste and add A 2 cup and a half of cream or 1 cup cream 1/2 white wine. Reserve 1/2 cup till the end. Add 1 of shredded mozzarella and 1/2 parmigiana and 1 or 2 tbs parsley flakes. Do not let this boil. Put your shrimp or crab in and slowly get mix just to a little bubbling. You never know how thick your rue will be till it bubbles, but you don't want to scald the cream or sauce will look like white milk tidbits in it. You get a fair idea when you add liquid always reserve some till the end in case your too thick or thin.

This white sauce with variations makes almost every cream type sauce or chowder. It even makes the best biskits and gravy with a little sausage and onion. The slow cook gets flour taste out. It's the gravy for chicken fried steak using pan drippings for oil. There is also creamed spinach and crab sauce for topping things like fried egg plant fried green tomatoes zucchini ect. It's the base for the white stuffing for pasta.

·
Registered
7 Posts
its really good with angel hair pasta....but i also add chopped, sundried tomatoes, and simmer with the shimp at the same time. Use alot!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts