Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever used a ventless gas furnace in there garage? I heard, because of there design you get alot of moisture in the garage and things rust easily.

Just ran a gas line and need a furnace, so if this isnt the way to go let me know.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
I am not sure about the moisture deal but, when i built my shop a plumber told me they go bad real fast. It has something to do with all the chemicals used in the garage and they way those heaters are built...Take that for what it's worth

I went to a local plumbing contractor and bought a 3 year old used hot air house furnace for $100 the people just wanted to up date there system.. that might be a option for you to shop around and see if you can find something....

Keith

·
First Ten Original Member
1,426 Posts
Not sure where you live but I'm from northern Ohio and I had a radiate(spelling) style heater in my 26X26 garage that didn't do squat. Warm directly under it and cold as hell 4 foot from it. Tore that out and replaced it with a forced air deal from a house and have been happy ever sence.
I would highly recomend forced air of some sort say 80 % or better.
Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
93,064 Posts
We built a Wood Stove out of a 275 gal oil tank....square tubbing thru it and a squirel cage blower on the back.....35 gal oil drum (w/petcock) on top for drain oil....huge door on front....Cast iron stack(from sewer dept) ......went to AMTRACK and got truck loads of RR Ties....Shop was 50X120 24 foot cielings......one RR Tie at night kept it toasty till am....thru 2 in in the am opened petcock let drain oil flow.......T-Shirt weather all Winter long.......When stack clogged (3 times a week) we thru in a can of starting fluid (and got out of shop :shock: ) it shot shit 100'-150' straight up.....Fire Marshall/EPA came in and suggested not to use it (if we wanted to stay outta jail :roll: ) but it worked great!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Jimmy Biggs said:
We built a Wood Stove out of a 275 gal oil tank....square tubbing thru it and a squirel cage blower on the back.....35 gal oil drum (w/petcock) on top for drain oil....huge door on front....Cast iron stack(from sewer dept) ......went to AMTRACK and got truck loads of RR Ties....Shop was 50X120 24 foot cielings......one RR Tie at night kept it toasty till am....thru 2 in in the am opened petcock let drain oil flow.......T-Shirt weather all Winter long.......When stack clogged (3 times a week) we thru in a can of starting fluid (and got out of shop :shock: ) it shot shit 100'-150' straight up.....Fire Marshall/EPA came in and suggested not to use it (if we wanted to stay outta jail :roll: ) but it worked great!
:smt005 :smt005 :smt005

1 - 7 of 7 Posts